Plans for this forum - threads are for cross-reference only

Discussion in 'VCBF Cultivar Locations' started by wcutler, Apr 24, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This forum was set up to collect locations of the various cultivars in Vancouver and the surrounding area. It is only a cross-reference to postings in the Neighbourhood Blogs forum, and should not be used for new postings and photos.
    Updated April 5, 2023:
    This forum is obsolete now. The Cherry Scouts have absolutely committed to getting onto the Festival Map every location that has been posted in the Neighbourhood Blogs forum. Festival Favourite locations on the map have red markers; the other 3000 or more entries have blue markers. Many of those are single trees, but those entries are useful if you saw a tree and want to know what it is. If you're only interested in good photo-ops, you can select that tab on the map.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Plans for this forum - for cross-reference only

I'm thinking it might be better to have all the information together in one place. I've clicked on a thread several times to discover it was just a map. Then there is the problem of the naming of cherries seen and asked about being discussed in two separate forums. If this feature of the site were a printed guidebook the descriptions and addresses at least (of each kind) would usually be on the same page.

3. wcutler

You mean the way it was? I was getting complaints that people couldn't find the neighbourhoods for all the cultivars. And the location of all trees of a certain type is a specific interest, primarily for picking favourites for next year and for putting the cultivars on a google map. I'd think you who does not live in Vancouver would want to not be subscribed to the Cultivar Locations forum, as it will have no information except for links to which postings in which neighbourhoods have a photo of that cultivar. Except for plums, since I asked people to put all their plums in that thread. I've left that in the Neighbourhood Blogs so that this forum can stay just for cross-references.

The ones with the maps are festival favourites, which I'm supposed to set up ahead of time, so there are at least 10 more of those just a map things to come. Maybe then it's best for me to wait until the location gets posted in the neighbourhood and then I can copy it to the Festival Favourites forum. This paragraph belongs in the plans for this forum under that forum, so I won't say more here.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As it appears now locations of trees are being shown in two forums and identifications of trees are being discussed in two forums. If a way can be found to simplify it that might be an improvement.

As time passes surely threads where identifications are left unresolved (or incorrect) are going to accumulate and become a detraction, seeming to indicate a need to develop something to address this.

5. wcutler

Thanks for the comments, Ron. I'm hoping having the Cultivar IDs under the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival will make it easier for the scouts to find and therefore do their official asking about cultivars there.

6. wcutler

I'm planning on doing away with the Festival Favourites Forum. I thought it would help Douglas find things to write about, but he's not using it and the scouts are as confused as you were, Ron, though you probably have it figured out by now. And I've duplicated a lot of postings that started in the neighbourhoods. So it will all be in the neighbourhoods next year. But I was going to put the lists of favourites in this Locations forum, and was planning to include a link to the neighbourhood posting of each favourite.

I've been surprised how many views this forum has had, so that makes me think it has been useful. I can't think of how to make locations postings work within the thread for each cultivar in the Cultivar IDs forum, since some of those threads are very long and no-one would ever find the locations postings. And that forum is less Vancouver-focused than the others.