Pinus monticola

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by wcutler, Aug 29, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have no idea why this one tree at Peace Arch Park has a label on the ground that says it's Pinus monticola - Western White Pine. I'm not one to pass up a labeled tree, and there is not a photo yet posted of this tree in this gallery, so here it is. I know nothing of the origin of the tree, whether it was just there and someone identified it, or whether it was planted when the park was established some time around 1921, or whether it is a much younger tree and the label is from when it was planted. The park is neutral territory between the US and Canadian border stations, right on the coast at sea level, and this tree is on the northeast side of the park (across the freeway from the bay).
    Pinus-monticola_PeaceArchPark_Cutler_20170827_133237.jpg Pinus-monticola_PeaceArchPark_Cutler_20170827_133240.jpg Pinus-monticola_PeaceArchPark_Cutler_20170827_133244.jpg Pinus-monticola_PeaceArchPark_Cutler_20170827_133303.jpg Pinus-monticola_PeaceArchPark_Cutler_20170827_133222.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be, but the cones at the top (pic #3) look very small, at or even below the lower limit for the species. Needs checking carefully to exclude cultivated Eastern White Pine P. strobus (which has smaller cones). Can you get a zoom-in pic of the top of the tree?

WWP cones are [12-] 15-35 cm long. In wild populations, the largest cones are found on the east slope of the Cascades in WA/OR, the smallest on the east side of the Sierra Nevada in central CA.

Specimen below from RBG Edinburgh (medium-small cones, about 18 cm).

Attached Files: