Photograph

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by wynn, Jan 16, 2003.

1. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Let's see if this works and includes photograph.

Learning to use digital camera for closeups (more pixels than know-how at the moment!). Some of them are in focus!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Photograph works! If you have a few questions about working with digital images, I'd be happy to answer them in the General Discussions forum.

3. wynn

Digital cameras

Thanks Daniel. As I stumble through a "learn it yourself" program I may well take you up on your offer! I have, I think, a decent eye for composition but am lacking technical experience and expertise -- both with photography in general and with the digital puzzles (eg. how pixel size relates to printed output relates to picture being in focus, lighting issues....). One question I could pose right now is the issue of photographing extreme light contrasts. Example: I would love to capture the ray of sun coming through trees illuminating forest floor (I live in a woodsy area). My understanding is that I might need a special lens (filter?) in order to take these types of pictures. Have you had any experience in this area? Thanks again. I attached another photo now that I know it works.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm working on trying to find an answer to this intriguing question - it certainly has me curious about how best to do that (and if it is even possible with the digital camera I have).

For now, all I can offer is a related picture of my own - this was taken during a Native Plant Society of BC Lichen Workshop on Vancouver Island. It's the hollow of a stump filled with mosses and lichens. It turned out okay, but I wish I had had more time to experiment with it.

Attached Files:

5. I suggest you purchase Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. You can do amazing things with images, once you get the hang of it. Program costs about $140.

The images are very nice!

6. zakalls

zakalls Member

wow im new to this site these are beautiful pictures i would love to paint some, have anymore? very cool both pictures keep up the good work , who needs an eye with this beauty.

7. wynn

Delinquent contributor returns!

Finally remembered to check the forum again. Thanks for the responses to my poppy/grasses photo. Daniel, your deep shade photo was certainly better than one's I've tried so far, but like you, I think I need to practice more and figure out the limitations (or not) of the camera I have. Do you ever have courses or garden tours for photo"philes" at the garden? I took a course through a colleage recently which was quite useful, but general, however, I would love a focus on nature/plant/closeup photography, especially with others who share the same interest. Your gardens at UBC would supply an endless variety of subject matter. Looking forward to your response.

PS. Attaching another photo (can you attach more than one?). Just got a tripod, so hopefully no more out-of-focus ones!

8. Daniel Mosquin

WIth the current version of the forums, you can only attach one photo per post. The upcoming version will allow multiple attachments (sometime in the next few months!).

As for photography courses - yes, we do have them from time to time - the person who traditionally gives the course uses conventional cameras. Are you more interested in a digital photography course or a photographic techniques (independent of conventional or digital) course? I can talk with the garden's education coordinator about offering one or the other (or both?) in the summer.

9. wynn

Photography course

Hi Daniel, at this point I could still learn a lot from conventional photographic techniques as long as they were focused on nature/landscape/closeup subjects. Digital and these techniques would, of course, be ideal! Please keep me informed about the courses. I am also interested in whether informal groups of intrepid photographers could use the gardens to meet in once and a while. Is anyone doing this presently or is it permissable?

Attached Files:

10. Daniel Mosquin

The photographic courses given at the garden focus on the plants in the garden, so they'd be very suitable.

The best way to keep informed about courses are:

1. Visit the Courses and Lectures page - I occasionally get the information about the courses up before the mailout.

2. However, to have the information come to you (at least until the day we have some sort of email system set up), you can email botg@interchange.ubc.ca and request to be placed on the education mailing list (give the typical mail details). You'll then receive the upcoming course and lecture listings every few months.

I'll also put that information up on the web site - thanks for the idea!

Lastly, groups of photographers are welcome to use the garden subject to the conditions on the hours and fees page. I should find out how many people constitute a "group" (probably 10). There are occasionally student groups that come out to the garden as part of their coursework. One event you might want to participate in is the Art in the Garden Weekend on May 24 and 25, 2003.

Kind regards,
    Daniel