Photo display oddity: photos appearing as uploaded and instream

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by wcutler, Oct 20, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Photo oddities: I know I've seen this before, not sure I could find it, where the info thumbs at the bottom remain in the posting even though the photos have been inserted into the text area. It's not the normal way it works - usually you seem to get one or the other. I thought I liked it, but now I see that the filename displayed is not the actual photo filename. They're also not in the same order. The instream set are as intended. Number of views is kind of interesting.

This is from Woody maidenhair-spleenwort-looking shrub | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    upload_2015-10-20_0-45-5.png

2. wcutler

Hmm, I pasted that in directly from SnagIt (screen print) without saving the photo. It's displaying full size. When I've pasted other (saved) photos in, they display full size in the draft but are automatically converted to thumbs. Maybe this screen print is a small enough file size that it did not trigger the conversion, though it does sometimes display a mouseover saying to click to get the full-size version.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This has to do with the setting on one of the add-ons. I've adjusted it, try it and see what happens now.

4. wcutler

I'll have to pay attention. It never was all the time that it happened. I have now just uploaded two photos in the test bed and clicked "Insert every", which is what I did when that happened, and it properly only shows the thumbs in the text area.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, looks like this is working as intended.

6. wcutler

I think you mean that you can move the photos into the text from the upload area, but I mis-interpreted what you said to mean that you could move the photos around in the text area after they were already there. I thought that didn't work for me before when I tried it, but I've tried it again, and yes it does work. If your photo went to the wrong place in your text, you should be able to move it to where you want it. I'm glad to know that it works that way.

7. wcutler

Well, AlainK's Maples posting today shows it behaving the non-standard way:

Autumn 2015 pics | UBC Botanical Garden Forums

8. Daniel Mosquin

Hmm, I don't think so. It looks to me like AlainK uploaded the attachments using the uploader, then inserted them into the posting. Note that the attachments and the images inserted into the posts have the same filename.

9. wcutler

Really? Not when I'm looking at them, Edge and Firefox and Chrome. I will give you that I thought for a moment that they had the same filename. I looked first in the text, then the attachments, then back to the text and it had a different filename. Of course now I can't be sure that I saw the same file name in the text area. As an aside, I'm not getting a mouseover in Chrome, but they have different filenames, seen in the URL display bottom left on my screen.

Are you commenting on my statement "even though the photos have been inserted into the text area"? I meant that I uploaded them via the uploader; I wasn't clear about whether I clicked Insert All or if I pushed them up, which could be why they're in a different order in the two areas in my posting. I thought I was doing something normal.

Let's say that you're right that you saw the same file name and that I saw that too for a moment. Could that have anything to do with why it's taking the system forever to find the photos? They're being renamed and reindexed?

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, that's what I did. I dragged and dropped the thumbnails into the text of the message.

11. Daniel Mosquin

See attached. I had my cursor over his image inserted into the message, and the URL at the bottom of my attached image matches the filename of one of the attached thumbnails.

And no, they are not being renamed and reindexed anymore. That wouldn't have made any impact to the speed. Like I mentioned, I tweaked the PHP settings on the server, maybe that will address the speed/display issue. If not, I'm going to have to seek support from the vendor (no one else has posted a similar problems on their support forums that I've been able to find yet).

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

OMG, the names are totally different on AlainK's posting and my posting, where both the thumbs show in both the upload area and in the text area. I'm sure I can't make it do that aberration when I want, but I can check the naming scheme in the text area from different kinds of uploads.

Method 1: Click Upload a File, then click Insert every Thumbnail.
    BerkheyaPurpurea_20150626_UBCBG_Cutler_P1200357.JPG HaplocarphaScaposa_20150626_UBCBG_Cutler_P1200364.JPG

Edited: Method 1 result looks fine. The mouseover and corner url display names both are the same as my photo names. That is not the case in AlainK's posting at Autumn 2015 pics | UBC Botanical Garden Forums, where the instream names are some temp_hash name.

13. wcutler

Method 2: Click Upload a File, then drag the uploaded photos to the instream location where I want them, one by one.
    View attachment 137130 View attachment 137131

Ooh, I have the aberration I want! And this time, the instream names have the temp_hash name.

14. wcutler

The thing is, in the Plants ID posting with spleenwort in the name, it's the instream photos that have the right photo name and the thumbs that have a different name.
    OK, Method 3: drag the photos in from a File Explorer window. Well, they don't end up here automatically, so I will drag them up here, since that's what is shown on the video I'm using for documentation right now.

119585-7e3f67830522dc2f4d7b5d6db7e57596.jpg 119586-d93429c5818ec7a7938b1813f4c0bdb2.jpg

Well, this is the same result as I got previously.

Attached Files:

15. wcutler

I think I have moved all the posts related to this topic to this separate thread. The previous three posts I have copied in from the Test Bed. I managed to get the same result twice, so am very excited about that. I dragged the photos from the upload area into the text, rather than clicking the Insert every Thumbnail button. I said previously that it's the method shown in the video; I should check that, but I think I remember that.

There is a corollary problem here, and it applies in all cases, and it's much more important to me. It used to be that when you saved an image, you got the image filename. What happens now is that only the temp_hash name shows up in the filename field in the save dialog. That would be a total nuisance to get the hash name and have to copy the image name from somewhere and paste it into the filename area to save the photos with the right filename. I use the VCBF photos on the festival website, several times a week for two months (hmm, mouseovers not showing, will have to get that fixed), and in slideshows.

I've been using firefox 41.0.2 for this and the previous three posts.

16. Daniel Mosquin

In all instances for the above, when I right-click, save as... in Firefox 41.0.2, it attempts to save the image to my hard drive with the original file name. Is this not what is desired?

temp_hash filenames would be just that -- temporary, and useless for linking.

17. wcutler

Yes, of course that's what is desired. Phooey. Look at what my Firefox names it:
    119631-4e41c9a3623456c9b5d62f76eb7d2f12.jpg
    The filename is now attachments/upload_2015-10-21_22-17-21-png.137178/?embedded=1&temp_hash=5bec4823c6fbca2b377adebb7f206896
    In this thread, you see, in the upload area, a filename of 2015-10-21_22-17-21.png (I guess it named the pasted-in image), and in the text area, the hash name.
    You can see the original filenames in the upload area in my testbed postings. When I mouse over the photos in posting 13, which have only photos in the text area, they have the real filenames. In the same location in postings 14 and 15, they have the hash name.

But, in all three postings, when I do a Save As, I get the filename as shown in my screen print here, even in posting 13, in which the photo has the correct filename. That screen print is from posting 13.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. Daniel Mosquin

You are trying to save the thumbnails, which have obscure filenames generated by the software.

19. wcutler

Now I've lost my draft in both browsers. Yesterday, I couldn't get rid of drafts.

First, you are right, thank you. I'm so embarrassed. But relieved.

Back to the task at hand.
    When I clicked the upload area thumbs in posting 13, I got four little thumbs on the viewing screen, the two photos followed by the two photos again. When I clicked though them, the third one would not display. I don't know if that's very interesting or not, as I can't see the filenames, so not sure if they are really four different photos, the two from the upload area and the two from the text area.
    Then I tried it in Firefox and they all displayed. When I returned to Edge, photo 3 had still not displayed (now that I've typed all this, they're all ok). In posting 12, clicking the photos brought up the same display, but of course with just the two photos. In posting 13, though, when I clicked the photos in the text area, that brought up single photos with nothing else on the screen, like you used to get when you clicked the enlarged photo on the old system. And that's when I lost my draft. But the point is that the instream photos are behaving differently from the instream ones that are the only ones. It's as if they're already enlarged, only they're not.

20. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, I notice different behaviour. Is it worth worrying about for some practical reason?

21. Daniel Mosquin

Hmm, well, here is the problem in post 13:

Code:
    Method 2: Click Upload a File, then drag the uploaded photos to the instream location where I want them, one by one.
    [URL='http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/attachments/berkheyapurpurea_20150626_ubcbg_cutler_p1200357-jpg.137118/?temp_hash=565d86014614b2db515bd3776690f7b4'][ATTACH=full]137130[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]137131[/ATTACH][/URL]
    The URL BBCode encompasses both attachment inserts, so both attachments act as one linking to the same URL.

The same thing happens in post 14, as well.

22. wcutler

Compared to the photo display problems, not so much. And I've added comments under the video saying that it's better to insert the photos by clicking the button, as shown, but I don't really think people will go there to read that.

The worst that happened so far for me was, after learning how reliably the system saves drafts, even between browsers, that I got caught testing the photos mid-posting and lost the draft when I clicked the instream photo in posting 13, because it went to a new page. I'd gone to new pages before and not been able to shake my draft, but this does it in. People will eventually get confused by the different display you get from the instream photos.

23. Daniel Mosquin

I messed around with post 13 a little bit trying to sort this out. Maybe there's an add-on that forces visual consistency, I don't know.

24. wcutler

I'd prefer post 14 over what 13 is now. 13 has the hash name on mouseover without the ability to see the real name in the upload area, and there's nothing to indicate that when you click a photo, you won't get the routine that displays them all. 14 sort of has it all, just hasn't really put it together.

25. wcutler

I can see now that in the two-photo posts showing four photos in the viewer, the first two bring up the thumb in the text area and it's only when you click the next pair that you see the full-size photos. What makes that less of a problem is that when you click the upload thumb, it opens at the third photo, so you see the larger one you're supposed to see.
    I wonder if that happens in other sites using xenForo.