Identification: Philodendron xanadu - much information on the web regarding it is just plain wrong!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by photopro, Jun 17, 2007.

1. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Re: Philodendron xanadu - much information on the web regarding it is just plain wron

Just had a look then and its number 30 on the list, however it doesn't go to this thread it goes to the one in outdoor palms etc. I will keep looking to see what number this thread comes up at.

Steve...got an email from Steve at Aroid, thanks for that I am awaiting his reply.

Ed

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Re: Philodendron xanadu - much information on the web regarding it is just plain wron

Something tells me we'll have several people watching the ranking now!

3. photopro

Things appear to register a bit different on this half of the globe as far as Google is concerned. Right now this link is #13 over here on Google. A lot of people will look that far down the list, but almost no one is going to go all the way past #300. Except me!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's #15 for me at the moment. How about a few more good key words . . .
    Philodendron xanadu sale
    Philodendron xanadu purchase
    Philodendron xanadu low cost
    Philodendron xanadu premium value

;-)

5. photopro

Michael, I'd like to sign up as your agent!

6. photopro

I received a copy of the patent of Philodendron 'Xanadu' this weekend. That patent appears to indicate the original seed for P. xanadu (now a species) was found in a bag of seeds purported to be from Philodendron selloum which is now known to science as Philodendron bipinnadifidum. The patent does not appear to indicate the specimen came from Australia.

I have no idea where all the information on the internet originated with the idea Philodendron xanadu was discovered in Australia in 1983. But I just wanted to set the record straight on what the patent actually says. I've also been told, yet unconfirmed, that patent is no longer valid.

And Michael, looks like your effort is slipping. We're now down to #16 on Google!

7. edleigh7

This thread at 15 on this side of the world...up from 30 with a bullet!! Sounds like the top 40 music chart!!

Ed

8. photopro

We'll, you're doing better than we are! Michael, what's happening in the UK?

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Down 1 to #16 at the moment . . . can anyone think of some better keywords?

10. edleigh7

I think you got the keywords summed up here...I wonder how it would go if the keyword "free" was put in there...;)

Ed

11. surawit

surawit Member

The patent is on one clone, not the whole species.
    Does anyone get seeds from the species or see it fruiting?

12. photopro

In their scientific reports, Julius Boos, Dr. Croat, and Dr. May have reported repeated complete infructescence. All of this is detailed here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron xanadu pc.html

The largest specimen in my collection came from Julius Boos and is reported to have fruited before but I have yet to photograph that happening. I hope to photograph it in the spring.

13. surawit

surawit Member

Do you happen to have picture of natural variation of the species, Steve?

14. photopro

It is my understanding there is little variation in this species. The blade can range up to 30cm (1 foot) in size and the plant can grow to 1 meter (3 feet) in height and width, perhaps a bit wider. But the blade shape apparently does not have a great deal of variation as does Philodendron bipinnatifidum. In our adult specimen, which is quite large, there is no noticeable variable from petiole to petiole.

15. Jeff Koelewyn

Jeff Koelewyn New Member

Isnt Xanadu just a trademark and not the variety name at all

16. Mandeebee

Mandeebee New Member

What an interesting read, which I stumbled upon after trying to find the best way to propagate a cutting of Xanadu.
    I actually read about 2 wks ago that the Xanadu has been reclassified as a new species by the name of Thaumatophyllum, which I read are distinguishable from the “eyes” that form up the stem. Though I’m certainly no expert!
    I’ve grown up with these everywhere around Sydney, Australia, so it’s interesting to read these posts from 10+ years ago talking of the rarity of them.
    I was unaware of the rumours and (faux) Australian connection - what a story! It seems to be a mysterious plant, which has finally been solved after all this time!!

17. Jeff Koelewyn

Jeff Koelewyn New Member

see Australian Patent No 617096 for A Philodendron cultivar named Winterbourne Its obvious that this plant originated in Australia
    You can find it on the IPAustralia website ...search under patent no 617096
    It was accepted but we can only presume that it was bona fide application and proper examination
    The patent ran out in 2008 so is no longer valid in Australia although it was at least until very recently sold with a label which states Australian Patent No 617096 which is expired so invalid
    The trademark XANADU was used with the above plant but it has been very generically used so invalid
    In the US see Plant Patent no 7030 once again for Philodendron Winterbourne which is well and truly expired Argue with your USPTO about the validity if you like
    The main point I wish to make is that in Australia and the US XANADU is MERELY a trademark and if people want to call XANADU a variety or cultivar then it proves that XANADU is a generically used and therefore invalid . Hence it is an alternative variety (cultivar) name
    This happens with so many so called trademarks like OCTOBER GLORY ,PIERRE DE RONSARD ETC
    No one seems to care or understand.....the apathy worldwide on the misuse of trademarks is incredible
    This is because there are basically no repercussions for misusing trademarks and so much to gain by controlling the commonly known names of plants
    The worst thing that can happen is that someone actually challenges a trademark. This is expensive and rarely happens...I cant give you an example

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  18. Jeff Koelewyn

Jeff Koelewyn New Member

there is an Australian connection ....please read my response

Mandeebee likes this.
  19. Mandeebee

Mandeebee New Member