Pest, disease, or something else?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Jun 10, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The more I think about it (it's hard to recommend something I have not used and it's probably the fact that you are having trouble finding what you need that is driving my recommendation), maybe you should go with what's available locally. That way you can add to it and tweak it if needed using the crumble test. The other part that has given me pause is that I went to the manufacturers website and could not find concrete numbers for the concentration of each ingredient. Instead I found a large range of concentration for each ingredient because they do a lot of custom blending. So my concern is that you may get something heavy on peat (which could be problematic and retain too much moisture) instead of it being mostly pine bark based (which would be more desirable for growing Japanese maples in your climate).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

That will be perfect for your soil mix. May be too large for vertical mulching mix. You may be able to screen some fine stuff out of it to put aside for vertical mulching if needed. But when you get your new mix going, vertical mulching will not be necessary. Glad you found something that works for your new soil mix. I am sure all your maples will be very happy too!

4. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Awesome. I appreciate all your help, JT.