persimmons harvest , and elimination of its astringency

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Jose-Albacete, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

Hello friends, it is harvest season of the earliest varieties of persimmons in my region.
    these are the fruits of a tree.

2v16jrt.jpg

euius5.jpg

Tomorrow that is my day off, I'll post a tutorial for the elimination of astringecy (for astringent varieties of persimmon ), in a very simple way to make In any home

Best regards
    Jose

Mekira likes this.
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

A treasured memory of childhood for me is the scent of fallen wild persimmons (Diospyros virginiana). I prefer the wild ones, though small, and they have to be ready to fall from the tree to be palatable. Your persimmons appear to be Diospyros kaki, which I've also enjoyed.

3. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

TUTORIAL FOR THE ELIMINATION OF PERSIMMON ASTRINCENCY

The persimmon astringency is removed by two methods:

1 - With alcohol vapors (commonly used method)
    2 - With the application of gases in the cool chambers as CO2 (carbon dioxide) or N2 (dinitrogen)

For we, the fans, is interesting the first option, which is done with alcohol vapors.

To perform this process, we will require certain materials, that we will see gradually, as this is a "visual" tutorial

First, we need the persimmons:

mrbcl.jpg

Second, a large cooking pot or other container large with lid and

where we can introduce the persimmons:

15xn760.jpg

As a third element, some containers , where tip out the alcoholic liquor (I recommendthe vodka of forty alcoholic degrees, which is a liquor that not has aromas that can influence our persimmons ) , and Using Vodka of forty degrees, the process usually takes 7 to 10 days

au713s.jpg

DEVELOPMENT TO THE PROCESS:

1 - Are introduced in the cooking pot, or in a similar container, the small containers with vodka inside :

axis9e.jpg

2 Is placed a rigid plastic grid over the containers withVodka, to place well the persimmons, and the alcoholic vapors is perfectly distributed

3 - The persimmons are placed with flower toward down:

vxdqh5.jpg

1zdao9c.jpg

4 - we cover the cooking pot:

14uwfgg.jpg

5 - Is sealedl the lid with adhesive film, tape, or any other sealing material

2r2m1s1.jpg

that simple, that in 6 to 10 days we will have our persimmons free astringency, and we can eat them with textured like the apples

I hope this little tutorial be of your pleasure

Best Regards
    Jose

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

Hello thanrose, this variety of persimmon (I have many varieties of persimmon in my orchard), but this particular variety is the variety "Hachiya" is very sweet, and in Japan is used for both fresh consumption as for its dry consumption, using the technique "Hoshigaki" is this technique:

How To Make Hoshigaki (Dried Persimmons)

Best regards
    Jose

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I think my only Japanese persimmon was Fuyugaki rather than Hachiya. Both of these methods of maturing the fruit would have been useful even on my one small tree's crop. People often said Diospyros virginiana required a hard frost to become sweet, but once I moved to Florida I learned that was not completely true. By the time I grew Diospyros kaki "Fuyugaki" I knew that getting to that perfectly ripe and sweet fruit took patience, such as one must show for figs. One day they are not ripe, but the following day they are.

6. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

thanrose, this method is for eat the persimmons , without astringency, and a type apple texture.
    To remove the astringency, also can you leave the fruit on the tree to make an over-maturation, but then the meat acquires a texture like marmalade ( particularly to me do not like this type of texture).

I think That in Canada has to develop very well the rootstock " Diospyros virginiana , which I suppose will be available in Their fruit nurseries, in terms of varieties, there are plenty of them really excellent, especially the variety "Saijo" and others like Hachiya, Tone Hiratanenashi, lampadina, Rojo Brillante , etc ..... ( all these have a high level of sugar)

Best regards
    Jose

7. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Also here in North Italy almost all Kaki sold are grafted on D. virginiana...