Perennial Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

URL to Perennial Hibiscus There are 10 pictures.

I labelled these annual hibiscus caption on the photo. They are not annual, but perennial, a mistake. It survives Brantford winters. The growth is phenomenal. The plant is right to the ground in spring and appears dead until about mid June, then shoots appear. It is always loaded with flowers, which last about two days, but there is always new ones appearing. It flowers for about three weeks. Flowering began three days ago.

I inherited this plant, so am not confident of the name. The previous owner called it Hibiscus so I fell into line. If anyone knows differently please post.
    Durgan

2. bettysrn01

bettysrn01 Member

I just joined and saw your note of 05 RE perennial hibiscus.
    I could not open the pix but am curious as to whether you identified the flower as hibiscus,and if so, what kind is it.
    I saw some beautful flowers in Denver last wkend which I believe are hibiscus. I am searching for a place to purchase them for a friend in Tenn which is cold but not as cold as Denver.
    Thank you

3. Durgan

The URL link is dead due to a technical problem with my web site, and this year 2007 I was away so didnt take any pictures of the plant. It was truly magnificient this year, and I know they grow well from seed; of, which, there is an abundance. Probably the best source is when you see the plant at the appropiate time grab a few seeds aand proceed. I truly enjoy this pretty clump of flowers. I add a bit of compost during the year and water slightly if rainfall is not sufficient. I am still not positive of the name, and by accident never pursued the issue, but will next year. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this time.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A large-flowered red cultivar that comes out late here is 'Lord Baltimore'. Lobed leaves and flower color suggest H. coccineus involvement in parentage, although it does not have the separated petals of that species.

Otherwise, the prevalent herbaceous hibiscus in gardens is H. moscheutos.

5. Durgan

http://quota.notlong.com 14 September 2007. This is the plant I am calling Perennial Hibiscus. The pictures were taken on 26 July 2007. I was waiting for full bloom before posting, but went away for almost a months so didn't get full bloom pictures. The plant in full bloom is a mass of flowers which last one day, but there are new flowers every day for about three weeks. The flowers shown are not fully open. The plant is cut back to ground level in the fall and grows as shown during the summer.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

H. moscheutos.

7. Durgan