Pear tree leaf disease identification

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by torokkaroly, May 5, 2009.

1. torokkaroly

torokkaroly Active Member

Could someone tell me what is the name of the disease on these pear leafs? Sorry for the pics quality, the effected area look like some brown or purple blisters. and already develops on the young just opening leafs also.
    Thank you, Karoly

Attached Files:

2. ssi gardener

ssi gardener Active Member

Hi Karoly! Looks like you have the same problem I have. It's pear tree blister mite (eriophyidae). After two years of it ruining tree and blossoms a forum member here told me what it was. Late last fall I sprayed the tree with oil and water. The tree is breaking out its leaves now and, after the massive infestation it had, it seems eighty percent free of the mites. It's doing very well after the removal of a few early buds which showed signs of the mite. I used my cooking oil, grape seed oil, 5 teaspoons to a quart of water and a couple of teaspoons of dish soap as a surfactant to make the oil 'stick'. Most light vegetable oils will do--even baby oil I was told, which isn't vegie. I used a little quart hand-sprayer, filled twice as it was a small tree and other plants around might react to the oil. This treatment only works in the spring or fall because these tiny mites live inside the leaf and can't be 'got' with summer spraying. It needs at least 48 hours to dry and become properly effective. I was a bit late with it, and rain came just a little before time, perhaps accounting for the escapees. I prefer fall because I find trying to gauge the time just before bud break pretty dicey for me and I'm not sure what the result would be if I sprayed too late. I don't think too many growing things like oil sprayed on them. I'll repeat the process this fall with hopes of a complete cure to follow. Sorry that you'll have to wait for a solution, but if there are only a few infected leaves, remove them quickly and burn them or dispose of them some other safe way. Same with the pared off blotches from fruit if you should be so fortunate. Make sure you collect all fallen leaves and do not compost--they'd love that. I put mine in a plastic garbage bag, fastened it tight, and left them to rot over winter. Also, follow the thread for 'pear tree' on this forum, there's lots of information. Good luck with your tree and gardening. Lynetta

3. amattison

amattison Member

Based on the description in this posting, I applied an oil spray both in the fall and spring and had no mite infected leaves this summer! I plan on spraying again this fall to be sure. Thanks for the advice!