Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Makealza, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Makealza

Makealza Member

Can anyone tell me if they have ever seen this a Peace Lily flower with two white leaves????
    What happenned???

Attached Files:

2. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

dude, that's rad! i've never seen anything like it and i've peace lilies. maybe yours isn't a peace lily... or maybe it's a mutation... seriously, though, i'm clueless.

photopro would know, though. photopro, where are you?!

ps: the white leaves are the spathe (modified leaves that protect the spadix).

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've seen that before in wild Spathyphyllums here in Ecuador. It appears that it's a chance mutation - the plant produces two spathes instead of the regular one. It doesn't seem to be consistent within the same plant, or across specimens that do it - I have one that has produced double spathes consistently, and the seedlings from it haven't done it once yet. Others that I see in the forest produce one or two inflorescences like that and then go back to producing regular single spathes.

Bottom line? Neat mutation, and nothing to worry about.

4. Makealza

Makealza Member

Thank you so much : ) I thought the spadix was the spathe lol
    how do you get seedlings???

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

This condition is very common as a result of tissue cultured specimens. TC plants are ones not grown from seed but instead grown from a DNA "soup". Spathiphyllum (Peace lily)specimens are rarely grown from seeds in a commercial nursery but are almost all grown from tissue culture. The condition is further caused by the use of a growth hormone commonly given to Spathiphyllum and Anthurium specimens to force them to produce inflorescences earlier than normal.

This thread explains more: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=59518&highlight=acid

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Makealza, I get seeds from wild plants, usually, although I'm also starting to cross-pollinate my own specimens. These, once sprouted, give me seedlings. It's not something that most home growers do or even really want to think about; I'm not nearly as efficient as the beetles that pollinate Spathis naturally, and the process is quite frustrating for me sometimes.

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

8. Makealza

Makealza Member

Wow thank you so much photopro the link you sent me was awesome: ) Although I had my plant for one year I don't think this will repeat it flowers regularly like 6 flowers at a time she is happy in a well drained moist soil in bright light. Even with this spathe deformity it is just a gorgeous big beautiful bloom for me and intriging.
    I will try pollination for sure you never know I have 28 big tropical plants in my home and I love them all various from banana plant to lemon tree started by seed, dumb canes, vines etc.