Paprika Yarrow dilemma

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Janthegardenlady, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Janthegardenlady

Janthegardenlady New Member

I have ten Paprika Yarrow plants in my garden, at various locations far enough apart that none of them are crowded. They are in their second year in the ground.

All of them bloomed last year. This year, of the ten, five are blooming profusely, while the other five haven't even put on buds. Their foliage remains green and shows no signs of dying back. They appear to have gone dormant.

Why would half of them continue to bloom while the other half just sit there and do nothing? Should I dig those up or let them remain for another season to see if they bloom again next year?

Anyone else experience this with Paprika Yarrow? Any insights on how to get the dormant ones to bloom again?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is known to be a tough, easy-care plant so I doubt there are any serious problems with yours. Could the non-blooming plants be in too much shade? If so, you could move them to a sunnier spot but they may not bloom this year regardless. If they are already in sunny positions, my guess is that they will bloom next year; perhaps just settling in still this year. Sometimes plants don't bloom or bloom poorly if they have received too much fertilizer - nitrogen, in particular. So, don't fertilize but provide regular watering. Hopefully, all 10 of your plants will be gorgeous this time next year!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. Janthegardenlady

Janthegardenlady New Member

All of my yarrows are in full sun. I don't fertilize heavily the soil around them, although I do add soil conditioners for good drainage, as without them my soil is almost pure clay and wouldn't drain. Perhaps a little more compost would do the trick? The soil is currently workable from years of previous conditioning. I think I'll give them one more season. If they don't bloom next year, out they go. They would have had plenty of time to establish themselves by then. I also try to keep the beds weeded as well as possible.

Thanks for your insights.