Identification: Pandora - Single pinky white, mid-season, upright spreading

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Mar 30, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Pandora - Single white blossoms, early

[Edited 2011aug3 by wcutler: I've moved postings about 'Pandora' trees into one thread and have removed irrelevant comments]

Is everything that has single pinky white blossoms Akebono if it isn't Somei-yoshino? What about these isolated trees that are totally in bloom in places where trees that are certainly Akebonos with those nice horizontal lines don't have any open blossoms at all? Here's one inside a pool enclosure on 15th Ave between Ontario and Manitoba.
    20080329_15Manitoba_Cutler_1374.jpg 20080329_15Manitoba_Cutler_1381.jpg 20080329_15Manitoba_Cutler_1378.jpg 20080329_15Manitoba_Cutler_1380.jpg

Anne posted some photos of this and two others in the Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood blog.

These just don't look like the Burrard Station trees to me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. wcutler

Re: What cherry? Singly pinky white, early mid-season, round shape

Maybe this is another one, from Stanley Park, just past the entrance off a path below Nelson St. I didn't have a very good access point for the photo, and certainly couldn't get close to the blossoms. It's a full two weeks earlier than the Somei-yoshino nearby in the park, which have only a few or no open blossoms.
    20080330_StnlyPk_Cutler_1419.jpg

So what about this tree that I posted in the West End neighbourhood blog, which we thought last year was Somei-yoshino? It and the smaller one near it are fully in bloom. They're profusely blooming, but not healthy - maybe because of the grafting?
    20080328_Pendrell_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_1246.jpg 20080328_Pendrell_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_1248.jpg 20080327_Pendrell_Somei-yoshino_Cutler_1205.jpg

The blossoms on both these trees look quite white, whereas the one in Mount Pleasant had a somewhat peachy pale pink appearance.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It really helps to pick specimens of trees being wondered about and hold them up next to other, similar ones you are confident about the naming of to see if they are the same.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The first set of cherry images suggests what I've tentatively identified as 'Pandora'.

The second set is less obvious to me. The posted images are very good, but it would be great if the photographers could also concentrate on close-ups of flowers, front and back, and scale. Identification often requires recording most of the following:

• whether the inflorescence is corymbose or umbellate
    • whether calyx, petals, pedicels, shoots, etc. are pubescent
    • shape, size and colour of calyx and sepals
    • whether petals are entire, emarginate, ragged, etc.
      how the inflorescences are borne on the stems (on spurs, sparingly, densely, etc.)
    • whether the flowers are fragrant
    • the shape and size of floral bracts
    • what the leaves look like (and do the emerge at the same time as the opening flowers?)
    • the shape and size of stipules

5. wcutler

I bought a small camera so I might always have it in my purse; now it seems I need a small ladder in my purse too! Thanks for wanting to help. I'd like to get you that information too.

I'll tell the scouts. Some terms to add to your glossary: calyx, sepals, emarginate, stipules (and how they're different from bracts).

6. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Pandora - single white, early mid-season, upright shape

This cherry flowers has beautiful light pink 5 petals with notch, flat shap, three flowers together. 3~4 trees are located 6 Ave. between Yew and Cypress Street. There are several kinds of unknown cherry trees on this block.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: What kind of cherry? Yet another single white early mid-season

Resembles 'Pandora' shown elsewhere here.

8. wcutler

Re: Pandora - single white, early mid-season, upright shape

The first shot is of the same trees at the end of October. The Schmittii across the street have just about lost their leaves now. The other two photos belong to the Pandora identified elsewhere, farther east on W 6th, west of Cypress St.

Attached Files:

9. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Pandora - single white, early mid-season, upright shape

Fall foliage of the two trees at the main entrance of Mount Pleasant Community Centre, 16th Avenue and Ontario Street.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

I've posted these in the Spires or what? thread last year, but they're not that cultivar for sure, and Mariko and I love these trees and think they should be festival favourites, but the point of favourites is that we tell people what they're looking at, so we'd need an id. I left a card in the mailbox asking them to contact me if they know what they are, but no word yet!

Mariko said about them:
    ... Wendy posted the trees on Arbutus near 51st (Kerrisdale) as might-be-Pandora. I went to check, but they were totally different from the ones on 50th. They are very beautiful pink tree without leaves and abundant flowers. Also they are very healthy looking. (One of the healthiest looking Ornamental cherries in Vancouver!!) Only common thing is they are very upright tree.
    I'm including a photo of the bottom of the trunk to back up our claim that these are not grafted.

Attached Files:

11. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: P.serrulata var.spontanea - Single pinky white, early mid-season, round shape

And speaking of clarifications... The first set of images in this thread, of the beautiful trees at 16th and Ontario (outside Mount Pleasant Community Centre), are of 'Pandora'. I'm reasonably satisfied with that diagnosis. Images below were taken 13 April 2009.

Attached Files:

12. Douglas Justice

Re: What cherry? Single pinky white, mid-season, upright spreading

These are 'Pandora'. They are extremely beautiful specimens.

13. wcutler

Mrs Vogel phoned me but she doesn't have the name. She still will check with the gardener who planted them in 1986 to see if he remembers. She said they spray them every year. She would be delighted if they were a festival favourite.

14. Douglas Justice

1986, eh? I'll bet they were purchased at Lang's Nursery in Delta (formerly of Richmond).

15. wcutler

I'll bet they don't still have the record of the sale.

16. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It is a little to late to write, but 'Pandora' on Arbutus&51 and Pandora on 50th&MarineCr. are totally different. Arbutus&51 ones are same as 6th&Arbutus which is in the handbook, but 50th&MarineCr. is totally different.
    Arbutus&51 (April 20)
    20090420_Arbutus&51_Pandora_Izaki 001.jpg 20090420_Arbutus&51_Pandora_Izaki 002.jpg 20090420_Arbutus&51_Pandora_Izaki 003.jpg
    50th& MarineCr. (April 20) finished
    20090420_50th&MarineCr._Pandora&Washi-no-o_Izaki 001.jpg
    On April 16, I visited Arbutus&51st ones and met a gardener. He didn't know about the cultivar (he wasn't a person who made the garden) but he gave me a small branch.
    So I brought it to 50th& MarineCr. and compared.
    They were different size, different petal shape and different setting of flowers.

Left /Arbutus&51st Right/50th&MarineCr.
    20090416_Pandora_Arbutus&51vs50th&MarineCr_Izaki 010.jpg 20090416_Pandora_Arbutus&51vs50th&MarineCr_Izaki 002.jpg
    20090416_Pandora_Arbutus&51vs50th&MarineCr_Izaki 003.jpg 20090416_Pandora_Arbutus&51vs50th&MarineCr_Izaki 004.jpg
    Arbutus&51st (April 15)
    20090415_Arbutaus&51st_Akebono_Izaki 001.jpg 20090415_Arbutaus&51st_Akebono_Izaki 002.jpg 20090415_Arbutaus&51st_Akebono_Izaki 003.jpg
    50th&MarineCr. (April 16)
    20090416_MarineCr,&50th_Pandora, Accolade&Akebono_Izaki 009.jpg 20090416_MarineCr,&50th_Pandora, Accolade&Akebono_Izaki 006.jpg 20090416_MarineCr,&50th_Pandora, Accolade&Akebono_Izaki 008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  17. wcutler

For the 50thMarineCr ones, there are no leaves yet, so not Yama-zakura, right? The blossom photo looks like Somei-yoshino. What else do we know (except Akebono) with tight balls of blossoms like that? The shape of the tree is what makes that seem questionnable.

18. Douglas Justice

I thought it looked like a grafted 'Somei-yoshino'.

19. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It can't be Grafted Somei-yoshino. I should have compared with Somei-yoshino at the site. Somei-yoshinos on Marine Crescent are less than 100M away from these trees. Flowers are smaller than Somei-yoshino. I know Grafted Somei-yoshino. Not only in UBC but there's one on 38th & Collingwood. Flowers are exactly same as usual ones.
    I haven't visited the site but I think those look similar to Laura's unknown tree in Kensington/Cedar Cottage. She compared with Akebono.
    Somei-yoshino is just a bit smaller than Akebono but almost same size.
    20080416_Somei-yoshinoMarineCr&50thAccolade_Izaki 027.JPG

But we forgot about biggest difference between those trees and Somei-yoshino! Somei-yoshino has green leaves after the flowers. Those have brown leaves with flowers!

20. wcutler

Here's a leaf photo from the 51st and Arbutus 'Pandora' trees. The leaves were very small, maybe three inches or even shorter.

Attached Files:

21. beautifulbotany

beautifulbotany Member

Re: Pandora cherry

[Note from wcutler 2010nov08: I've copied this from the Accolade thread, where Douglas Justice requested the 'Pandora' photo.]

Douglas - I confess I haven't returned to this forum until my email alerted me today that there was an entry re 'Accolade', to which I responded. So I hadn't seen your request re 'Pandora' from February 2008.

I am especially interested in Japanese cherries, and have photographed them all over the world, including Washington, New York, London's KEW, Kyoto and Mount Yoshino.

My photos of 'Pandora' are not great, but this a small grove of them at Hamilton's Royal Botanical Garden, likely taken on April 29, 2004. Also shown is a closeup of a flowering branch and one of adventitious buds emerging from the trunk.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  22. wcutler

Attached Files:

23. beautifulbotany

beautifulbotany Member

Two more shots of 'Pandora' blossoms, taken in Hamilton ON (Royal Botanical Gardens) on May 10, 2011

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

May 10?? Ours were in bloom April 2 this year; this has been a cold year for us, and last year was about the same. The trees across the street that are usually a week or two later bloomed on April 10 last year.

25. beautifulbotany

beautifulbotany Member

Yes, May 10th 2011. 2010 was an early year for us, but last spring was rainy, rainy, rainy and cool. Forsythia were in bloom on May 10, 2011 too. Also P. 'Ivensii', 'Accolade' and other early prunus.

Now 2012 is an entirely different picture. 'Accolade' has almost finished, so I'm sure the P. x yedoensis are wrapping up too, though it's been cool after our Feb/March heat wave and things are now holding on.

I notice in Kuitert that there is some confusion about 'Akebono', as to whether it's the Clarke introduction from California 1925 (aka 'Daybreak' and 'Amerika' in Japan) or 'Yae-akebono', which translates as double daybreak cherry and found among the cherries on the Arakawa River in Kyoto in the late 19th century. It's described as "very large, semi-double, rose, fragrant." It is very similar to 'Fukurokuju'.