Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Paula J, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Paula J

Paula J Member

One of my Ladies, has a massive stand of Pampas Grass. I have been told it needs to be burnt down every 3 years. I cut out all the dead stuff last Autumn (Fall) This plant had not been attended to for years, was at least 25 feet tall, sorry, don't do metric! Fantastic plant and want to do what is right by it. I live in the very temperate South Coast of England.

Advice on how to, and when would be gratefully received.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Extensive thread on pampas grass care and pruning. If something you're looking for specifically isn't in there, please post a follow-up! Thanks.

3. Paula J

Paula J Member

Does anyone know? Do I leave it until it has flowered again, or do I employ fire? I hacked it back, cutting out the dead stuff about 3 months ago?

4. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Wow! 25ft is really tall. I wonder how old it is? The cortaderia selloana as it is know that I bought says 8-10 ft! How does one get it to grow sooooo tall? Fertiliser and talking to it :). No seriously, how come that one is so tall? Anyone know?

I'd like to put it in as a screen in some parts if it would get to be even 12ft tall.

ANOTHER question: How long does it take for Pampas grass to plume? Mine is two years old and about 5ft tall, but no plumes yet.

Steph.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

If it is truely 25 feet tall, I doubt if it is pampas grass. May be, a running bamboo.