palms and snow.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by greenboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

A guys a mile away form home planted some palms tree this is not weird at all but the weird thing is we are in Pennsylvania, the other day I stopped in his house to ask him but they are on vacations fro two more weeks, I can't recognise the palms is any one out there knows of a palm surviving the cold weather, Ice and Snow. If you do please let me know which palm is this. I want one.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The hardiest is probably Chusan Palm Trachycarpus fortunei; a group of four in Plovdiv, Bulgaria survived a temperature of -27°C in a severe winter. Next hardiest is probably Needle Palm Rhapidophyllum hystrix, reported to have survived temperatures down to around -25°C. Note though that young specimens are less hardy than mature plants, so you may need to give them some winter protection until they are well established - cover them if temperatures are forecast to go below around -15°C for their first few winters, take the cover off again as soon as the temperature goes back above -15 again.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

A friend of mine has a 'thing' for palm trees. He asked me why aren't there any cold hardy palm trees? Upon investigation I found that there are some, as Michael says. Just Google 'cold hardy palm trees' and be amazed! Go for it, greenboy. Hmm...maybe your new boss would like one!

...If Thoreau REALLY wanted to simplfy, why didn't he just say it once...?

4. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

He said that Three times, because he was from another era, when you instead than screaming you only say whatever you want to say three times, this was common in old cultures, like greek and maybe even the Romans, even the Angels in Revelation call God,
    Holy, Holy, Holy...
    Myabe my new boss would like one, Maybe...