Palm areca. Fuzzy white growth on leafs

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandra., Sep 10, 2016.

1. Sandra.

Sandra. New Member

Hello everyone. Very excited to find this forum to ask questions. I live in toronto Canada. I have a huge roof top patio and have amazing success in the summer with my plants. But bring the areca palms in from the deck for the winter i did not keep them healthy.

Last winter i brought in 6 lovely areca palms and great for the first 3 months. They were in huge glass windows with 3 hours of direct sun.

But on the 3rd month indoors they started to grow a white fuzzy growth on the leafs and then appeared to go into the roots.

I started this summer with 6 new palms and they look amazing. Now I'm worried. I need to plan to bring them in for the winter in the next month or so. Please someone help me on how to bring them in and how to care for them. And how to prevent the white fuzzy growth.

Please and thank you
    Toronto Canada
    Save my Palms

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Sounds to me there was an infestation of mealybug or something similar last winter.

3. Sandra.

Sandra. New Member

Hi junglekeeper. Thank you for your reply.

If it is mealybugs. Can you get rid of them or are they permanently in your plants and your house? I ask as the other plants were infected as well inside the house.

I put those infected plants from inside the house in the backyard far away from the roof top. They look great but I'm guessing bugs are in the roots of the plants. Can u get rid of them and save those plants. As I do not want to bring them all inside for the winter from roof top deck and backyard. Then they are all together and all become infected.

Thank you
    Sandra
    Save my Palms

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The only way I know is to cut back what you can and spray the rest of the bugs with alcohol, wipe the leaves best you can, and spray every few days for a while. Then spray them every week or so, every new bug you find. Seemingly forever. Maybe there is some poison, but I try not to use that. I give up on bad infestations on plants with lots of crevices where the bugs can hide.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think it would be very difficult to eradicate without the use of a systemic insecticide if the roots are infested.

6. Sandra.

Sandra. New Member

Thank you for all your help. I will try and give you an update of results in the next couple of months.