Pachypodium Geayi growing

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by aidin-baftechi, Jun 6, 2007.

1. aidin-baftechi

aidin-baftechi Member

Hello everybody , i have a apro. 3 year Geayi but , i don't know something . How much water it need in cold months and hot months ?
    Does it natural falling it's leaves or not , if yes , how much times in a year and When ? ( my geayi fell it's leaves 4 or 5 weeks ago ( 1 mounths before summer starts) but 2 weeks ago it starts growing )
    Also i wanna know is there any specified reason for a geayi when the main trunk starts to branching or not ?
    And also are there any tips for using special soil , giving manure or compost or ... for the best growing . I'd be so Thankfull if anyone reply me .
    Aidin

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Within this forum there is a thread titled "Succulent and Caudiciform Culture Guide". In it you will find culture guides from 3 different nurseries that specialize in Pachypodiums and many other arid-climate plants. The culture guide from Highland Succulents will likely answer your questions best.

Pachypodiums are semi-deciduous. They do have a dormant period (autumn-winter) where growth stops, and some of the leaves may change color and drop off. A few leaves often remain.

Branching can occur at any time, however, with Pachypodium geayi it most often occurs with a mature plant.

Avoid using compost or manure with Pachypodiums. It is too rich in nutrients, it holds too much water, it does not drain well, and is full of fungi. They are native to the dry, desert forests of Madagascar. A loose, gritty mix of large-grain sand (2-4mm), crushed pumice, vermiculite, perlite, bonsai soil,...whatever you can find locally. A slow-release, granular fertilizer will work best. The roots must be able to breathe and they do not like their roots wet for any more than a day or two.