overwintering strelitzias

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Heathen, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

Hi,
    So my dilemma is I've just moved into a lower suite, and as usual, it has a dearth of big sunny windows. I have both S. reginae and S. nicolai, and I'm very reluctant to part with them, so I'm wondering if they could tolerate low light for the frosty months, or if they could stay out if I gave them clear plastic tents..? Or "other" solutions? I'm guessing the landlords would not be happy with the hydro bill if I added some high wattage lighting down here. Your thoughts appreciated :)

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I've overwintered my S. Nicolai in a room in the basement, set up with "Sunblaster" florescent lights (a plug-in light fixture available at most garden centers). They allow the plant to continue growing through the winter months.......these lights used about the same wattage as a desk lamp, 13 watts. As for heating, the plant will tolerate room temperature without issue. You do realize how tall this plant will get?, I cut mine back otherwise it would no longer fit in the room

I also have an S. Reginae which I am trying to overwinter in an unheated greenhouse this winter as an experiment. Listed as zone 9'ish, I believe that being frost free and with a water garden beside it to help with humidity and warmth, it will survive.

3. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

13 watts is nothing much..I was thinking it would need much more! I got the nicolai when I lived in a place with 14ft ceilings. It was a baby with two leaves at the time. It's bigger now but has a few more years to go until it's a problem.
    I hope your experiment works. Let us know. I recall there is a fellow somewhere around here who keeps citrus(?) trees alive through winter using old-style Christmas lights...and I've got a 120W solar panel...hmm.
    Thanks for answering, and for making me think.

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

As you're not trying to re-create the plant's tropical environment you don't need the heavy duty lights; you're just keeping them happy through the winter.

As for the citrus, there are several types of cold hardy citrus that you could probably grow without issue on the island. I have citrus junos (yuzu lemon), poncirus trifoliata (Japanese bitter orange), fortunella margarita (variegated kumquat 'centennial') and citrus reticulata 'owari' (owari satsuma mandarin orange) all growing in-ground. Of these, the mandarin and lemon are currently holding fruit, and none of these trees are wrapped during the winters.
    Victoria has a mild climate so I'm sure any of these would do okay.

And if you are looking for additional help with keeping your exotics plants you should contact the Pacific Northwest Palm & Exotic Plant Society. They are located here in Vancouver but with many members on the island willing the share their knowledge and experience.
    PNWPEPS

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

Bookmarked that, thank you :)