Overwatered Pencil Cactus...Help!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Becky314, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Becky314

Becky314 Member

Hello,

I'm new to working with / having my own plants. I just got a small pencil cactus clipping and potted it in miracle grow cactus/succulent mix. I watered it well at time of potting, then didn't water it for a few weeks. I thought I'd waited too long to water it, so I watered it again. It was going great, the clipping was green and healthy. But now the tips are shriveling up. I obviously over watered this plant. Since I want to save it from dying, I'd like to dry out the soil. Do I need to repot the clipping or is there a way to just (very quickly) dry out the soil? What's the best way to handle this situation?

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it!!

Becky

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

In an emergency, you can re-pot into dry soil. Or, setting the root-ball on a stack of newspapers will act as sponge and help dry out the soil if left for a couple of days.
    If your pencil cactus (Euphorbia tirucalli) is "over-potted" (pot too large) the soil will stay wet longer which can cause root rot. Using clay pots with drain holes and fast draining cactus soil is best. Give the roots about an inch of root room all the way around down inside the pot, it will dry much quicker then plastic ones.

3. Becky314

Becky314 Member

Thank you, Bluewing, very much. This is helpful. There was such a difference from this morning to this afternoon, that I just repotted. And it was soaking wet in there. I put it in a new pot -- unfortunately all I have is plastic -- with a mixture of a little of the damp soil (the stuff that had been more on top, not the soaking wet stuff), some sandy gravel type stuff and mostly dry soil (a friend who has a lot of cactus and succulents suggested this mixture). There weren't any roots to speak of since the first potting of this clipping. The plant is looking pretty sad, I'm not sure if it will make it -- which is sad for me because I love this plant. I hope I changed it in time. If all you plant lovers out there get a chance, could you send some love to it? It can use all it can get right now! I appreciate it very much. Again, thanks, Bluewing!!

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Becky,

Hopefully it will be just fine and grow well for you....

Like I mentioned, keeping the pot small will help in the drying time.... Adding "Perlite" to the mix can help make the soil be lighter, more airy.

Fingers crossed:)

5. LLLLaura

LLLLaura Member

I haven't had good luck with that cactus succulent mix - I don't think it's nearly granular enough, which is to say it's too sticky and dosen't drain fast enough. I've been using a mix put out by Continental Divide Greenhouse here in Montana which has a LOT of sand in it and it works really well.