Organic Orcharding

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by goatroper, May 8, 2009.

1. goatroper

goatroper Member

Is it really possible to grow apples w/o pesticides? I have a terrible codling moth problem on several old trees, what do I use/do?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. goatroper

goatroper Member

Thank-you, I'll check it out.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I got rid of codling by grazing my muscovey ducks around the area. It was totaly accidental but it seemed to be the reason. Since then several people have tried it with ducks, geese and chickens in their orchard area. Note the location of the larvae. I think this is how the cycle was broken

http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publications/hortfacts/hf401008.htm

Liz

5. goatroper

goatroper Member

We are getting some chicks soon, but that will be a little late for this year. I ordered some biological controls,(wasps), and some organic spray from Gardens Alive. Thanks for your help.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Let us know how it goes!

7. Liz

Make sure any fowl are secure from predators. Particularly at night. I use livestock dogs (Maremma and Pyrenean) so Mr fox in may case will not even come by. I suspect you may also have other animals and birds that may be a problem. Also don't forget a bit of grain feed or similar once a day besides what they pick up. By the way 2 hens can do a fair bit of rotar tilling on half an acre.

Liz

8. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I have been using spinosad (Entrust, Monterey Garden Spray, etc.) to control codling moth the last 3 years. It is very effective. Timing is crucial, you need to watch heat units in order to time the spray correctly.

9. Priya Mahalingam

Priya Mahalingam Member

Hello Goatroper,

Its possible to produce the organic apples, you can refer www.kootenaycovers.com
    I think its helpful for you

10. Liz

I accidentaly cleared mine when the pet ducks cleared them out. The were very active around the base of the tree and the trunk as well as cleaning up the fallen ones. They were terrific the following couple of years then the parrots and possums (native marsupial )discovered them long before they got ripe. The drought has not helped in recent years as the fruit is not even setting. I now let my 4 chickens mull the area regularly and should we get some decent rain I will fight the wildlife for some of the haul.

Liz