Orange tree not fruiting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Leona Barnett, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Leona Barnett

Leona Barnett New Member

Dwarf orange originally in a container for 3-4 years was transplanted into the ground 2.5 years ago. Since then the tree has not flowered. Initially, I attributed this to transplant shock but since this is the 3rd flowering season that has come and gone with no fruit I suspect something else is going on. The tree looks healthy and has grown since transplanted.
    Would appreciate any ideas.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

• Did the tree produce flowers while in the container? If not, is it possible the tree is a seedling?
    • If the tree is grafted, is it possible much of the new growth while in-ground is from the rootstock and not from the scion?
    • Is the tree fed regularly with a fertilizer that has a suitable NPK formulation, one which also contains micronutrients?

Leona Barnett likes this.
  3. Leona Barnett

Leona Barnett New Member

Thank you for your response....Yes it flowered while in container. We have several dwarf citrus that are producing fruit and use same fertilizer

Will need to take a closer look to see if new growth is on root stock.....if it is, is there a way to coax or boost the grafted portion?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I wonder if the problem has something to do with the soil which perhaps is causing a nutrient imbalance. Then again the tree appears to be healthy. What is the fertilizer's NPK ratio?

Removal of all rootstock growth should redirect the tree's energy towards the scion. Look for growth with different morphology from that of the orange.