Oops....Now I need help!

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by andreagrows, Mar 1, 2009.

1. andreagrows

andreagrows Member

I'm using coir for the first time in propagating plants. I did know to add fertilizer to the coir when I was hydrating it, however, I blanked (for lack of a better word) on quantity. First off, I'm using an all purpose organic fert (2-1-3) ("Earth Safe All Purpose") which should have been mixed at 10ml/1L water. I added 30ml to 18L of water when I should have added 180ml! I'm now 150ml short. My plants are all germinating nicely, however, they are going to need a good hit of food here very soon. How can I make up this loss in nutrients without burning these tender new leaves? A turkey baster comes to mind......
    Thanks for your time~

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I wouldn't worry Andrea. If possible I like to wait for a few days/week before fertilizing many germinating seeds, as the little roots can be sensitive and the seed itself has enough food reserves to get the little plant started anyway.

Also getting some fertilizer on leaves can be beneficial...I actually spray many organic fertilizers like liquid kelp right onto my plants as some of the goodness can absorb directly into the leaf tissues. Very low concentrations of fertilizer are used for this "foliar" feeding. Whether you go that route or not...the fertilizer can certainly be applied anytime, not just while seeding.

3. greengarden bev

greengarden bev Active Member

I agree. Tiny seedlings get their energy from the stored reserves in the seed. Only when they develop their first true leaves do they start needing fertilizer. You can use the liquid stuff, but diluted to about half the recommended rate.

4. andreagrows

andreagrows Member

Yay- thank you, both of you!