onions from seed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Richard Goold, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

Does anyone have success at growing onions from seed ?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You had a reply for Walla Walla onions, at Walla Walla onions. Are you asking now about other onions?

3. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

yes thanks.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Over the years, I've grown several varieties of yellow and white sweet Spanish onions, as well as some red varieties from seed. They all have done well, although some of the red ones have had a fairly large percentage of stunted bulbs. Bunching onions have also grown very well from seed.

5. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

Thanks. I grew up on a farm. 70 yrs ago my father grew a quarter acre of spanish onions from seed. He started them in wooden flats inside the house [we had no electricity] and we transplanted them. They sold for 3 cents a lb ! Since I retired I have tried to grow them from seed without much luck and have always reverted to sets. Obviously I am doing it wrong . Hence my question.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you can't or don't want to plant onion seeds outside very early in the spring, you could start them indoors, as your father did. Later plantings outside should still do OK; they just won't grow as large as earlier starts. If you plant later, you should sow the seeds in the final location where you want the onions to grow. That way they won't suffer from transplantation shock and will be larger.