Appreciation: Offering my altime awe in exchange of your mighty wisdom

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by antoniaaretu, Jul 30, 2015.

1. antoniaaretu

antoniaaretu New Member

Hello everyone!

I am happy to find such a helpful and joyous community! Unfortunately, i am here because of being in trouble.

I picked from the great outdoors this beautiful plant, around 2 weeks ago. Its natural habitat was a very rocky hot mountain, with very little vegetation, right at the edge of the sea, somewhere in a beautiful village in Turkey. So, let's say that its normality was very hot temperatures, a lot of salty humid air, and little water from precipitations during many months in summertime.

Unfortunately, i didn't have the possibility to plant it soon, so i kept it in a vase full of water, assuming that water will do it good. After about 5-6 days, i was finally able to plant it in a pot of soil. But it was already looking a bit sad, so i just assumed that it will feel better in the new pot. Just that it didn't. It got even sadder, and also very fast. The stems started looking all wrinkled and soft, some of them started to incline, about 45*, one almost close to the ground. The greenish healthy look also faded, as you can see now it looks white-ish and the dead-ish leaves at the bottom of the stems are reddish-brown.

So, i picked it up on the 17th this month. Today is the 30th. It spent about 4-5-6 days in the water vase, and then another week in the soil pot. And today i took it out of the pot. But that was enough to stress it to the point of... well, i guess the images speak for themselves. You can't even imagine how beautiful this plant looked like 2 weeks ago :(

I'm fairly guilty for keeping it so much in the water vase, and just now, when i took it out of the pot and checked its roots, understood that the root probably rotted.

So, i cut the biggest part of the root, and am planning to let the plant out, just sitting on a plate, for a couple of days, and afterwards to plant it in a very grainy mix of little soil, pelete and maybe some little rocks.

I wanted to ask you guys if you think that is a good strategy, if you think i have any chances to save this poor guy that i care about so much already, and if you have other tips on how to make it work.

Thank you so much in advance, and i am so happy to have come across you guys! All the best to you and all your projects!

Antonia

Attached Files:

2. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

It almost looks like a crassula or sedum, but not succulent. Curious.

3. T311

T311 Member

Did it live? What happened?

4. antoniaaretu

antoniaaretu New Member

Nope, it died dramatically :(

RIP :(

Thanks for the concern though :)

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Really sad. From the beginning through to the end :(

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  6. antoniaaretu

antoniaaretu New Member

True. Im gonna give it another shot this summer, hopefully this time it will survive (i will be more careful, yeah :) )

7. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Please don't! Please don't kill another one!

From your description I conclude the plant is native to the area and rare. Even if you did everything right to make it survive (sorry, but you did the opposite :( ), the odds are it will not. Many native plants simply can't survive in an alien environment.

How about taking a picture of it and enjoying it knowing that the plant is there alive, healthy and happy?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  8. antoniaaretu

antoniaaretu New Member

Believe me, it wasnt rare. There were three trillion mountains around all covered with this plant. My bad was the fact that i left it dipped in water for too long. So the root rotted. It had no chance. Tear to my eye. Thats that. Hopefully it went into the heaven of plants. I will for sure give it another try this summer :D

9. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Reminds me of Euphorbia characias.

10. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

And remember: propagation is conservation....

11. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Or maybe a Toadflax?