Oaks: Oak Tree Shock

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Scottso55, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Scottso55

Scottso55 Member

I have a large ( approx 50 feet) Oak that appears to be shocked. Two weeks ago, I had a large trench dug for plumbing repair. This trench is about 20-30 feet from the tree.
    The leaves started turning brown very rapidly about a week after the digging.

We recently extreme hot and drought conditions. I watered this tree with soaker hoses during that time.

Is this tree dying? Can it be saved?

Thanks - Scott

2. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

can you post a picture of the tree and where the trenching took place? oaks are very sensistive to root loss and construction damage. a picture would really help. good for you on placing a soaker hose. that will help.

3. Scottso55

Scottso55 Member

Thanks,

I am out of town today. I will post the photo tomorrow.

Scott

4. Scottso55

Scottso55 Member

Re: Oak Tree Shock - Photos

Here are the photos. The shocked tree is the one closest to the house. The trench runs from the house, just under the window on the right. If you look at the photo of the house - you can see a white pipe sticking up out of the ground on the left of the photo. The trench runs from this pipe back to the house - just under the window on the right.

The digging was on Thursday, Sept 13. The leaves started dropping about 10 days later. It has lost about half the leaves in under a week. A lot of the leaves are still mostly green.

All my other trees are still green - they usually start turning in October.

Thanks for your help - Scott

Attached Files:

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

that is a lot of leaf fall for this time of year. you aren't too far from where i live and our oaks aren't dropping yet. especially the time of year when tress are stressed from our extreme temps trenching through the tree roots can greatly add to the stress. oaks are highly sensitive to root disturbance, especially post oak, Quercus stellata, which looks like what you have. You really won't be able to tell the full extent of damage until it leafs out next year. some trees won't display construction or root damage symptoms until several years later. the shedding could be the trees self defense mechanism kicking in. you were right on by giving the tree supplemental water. i would continue to do this. this is hard being the size of the tree, but some is better than none. luckily, the trenching didn't happen any closer to the trunk. one thing that does help when roots have been cut by trenching or other heavy equipment is to go back and make clean cuts on the roots instead of leaving jagged rough edges. however, since the trench is already filled in, there isn't much you can do about it now. unfortunately this situation didn't sound avoidable since you had a plumbing repair. good luck and keep us posted.

6. Scottso55

Scottso55 Member

Thanks for your help. I'll keep the extra water flowing.

Scott