Notes on Plant Morphology

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by wcutler, Mar 2, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was checking out an Italian webpage to add to the Plants Identification Resources page and discovered it features on the home page nine very detailed pages on morphology of plants with good drawings and illustrative photos. The site is Acta Plantarum - Home Page, or in English translated by Microsoft. The translation seems remarkably good, though the labels in the diagram pictures are of course not translated. A lot of those plant parts are cognate to words we use, though.

@Daniel Mosquin, I was going to start a Resource page for Plants: Science and Cultivation, to record this site, but then I couldn't decide if it really belonged in Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy. What do you think? Science?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Noticed one or two errors in it, e.g. they list Pinus leucodermis (a synonym of the earlier name Pinus heldreichii), and the first photo of Pinus pinaster is actually Pinus pinea.

3. wcutler

Were they in the Morphology area?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. wcutler

The recommendation here is, when clicking on the words "in English" in my posting, to look for this area at the bottom centre of the page that comes up,
    PlantMorphology_Cutler_2018-03-04_8-54-16.jpg
    and click any of the buttons. That's the part I'm asking about, but you've indicated that you're not commenting on errors in that area.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, it wouldn't belong in Nomenclature and Taxonomy. Plant ID is fine, as it helps to ID plants.

7. wcutler

OK, good. I've just featured it more in the Plants Identification Resources description.