Appreciation: Not a Maple, but sure looks like one!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We came across Hibiscus acetosella 'Mahogany Splendor' yesterday. The other time we saw this maple imposter was in the more tropical climate of the Bahamas. The leaf is strikingly similar to a maple, but it’s an annual here in our climate. Although it's not a maple, this Hibiscus sure looks like a maple to the average person based on foliage shape and color. This plant makes a great multi-stem vertical accent in a container, where burgundy maple like foliage is needed, but you may not be willing to use or sacrifice a Japanese maple due to the site conditions or companion plantings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

One of the local feed stores carries this hibiscus as well, very, very pretty; too bad it's an annual in our climate (zone 6b). I may have top pick one up next year...

I came across my beauty, again with the maple-type leaves, at a nursery in one of the small towns just outside the city; the cultivar is 'Haight Ashbury', and it is stunning - and a VERY vigorous grower. Went from a 2" pot and maybe 12" tall the beginning of August (when I bought it) to an 8" azalea pot. Within a month, it had completely filled the new pot with roots and was over 3' tall. I've cut it back significantly, repotted it into a different pot (with significant root pruning of course), and plan to bring it in for the winter. Hopefully it will survive, and though I know this cultivar is grown more for it's foliage, I am hoping it might flower one day...

Attached Files: