North Vancouver

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by beeleelim, Apr 21, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes, looks like 'Whitcomb'. There is a lot of variation in the petal colours partly probably because of the sunshine but also, they fade to a very pale pink. They're looking good this year.

2. Susanhuang28

Susanhuang28 Active Member

A beautiful fully bloom cherry tree looks like 'Whitcomb', and it is located in Munday Place.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  3. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Hello from Cherry Scout Deborah!

I am able to contribute this year and was out today with camera in North Van looking for blossoms. I work downtown now and notice quite a difference between the the bloom times downtown vs. the North Shore. For instance I am waiting patiently for the 'Akebono' trees nearby in Lower Lonsdale with just a hint of pink bud action but the downtown ones near Burrard Skytrain are much more in bloom.

I noticed that my beloved 'Beni-shidare' that I drive by here mid Lonsdale area are still in the dormant stage yet the Vandusen 'Beni-shidare' walk and talk has been moved up to next week.

I plan on attending the scout orientation again and hope to see you there Susan (fellow N Shore scout) Wendy and others!

4. ruthraymond

ruthraymond New Member

Wendy asked me to post these photos. The tree is on East 12th Street, just off Grand Boulevard East.

Attached Files:

5. Susanhuang28

A small 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' tree is in full bloom, and the location is in a private front yard of north side of west 15th Street in between Pemberton Ave. and Philip Ave.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  6. Susanhuang28

The full blooming 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' tree located in a private yard on the south side of East 29Th St. (between St. Christophers Rd and Masefield Rd.)

Attached Files:

7. Susanhuang28

A full blooming Shogetsu tree locates in north side of West Queens Rd at Lonsdale Ave. next to the 54350 bus stop.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

It's amazingly good-looking for 'Kiku-shidare-zakura'.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed it is. I wonder if it might actually be something different. On the other hand, I don't see an obvious graft union. Perhaps it's been budded low on the stem (or on its own roots) and not infected with bacterial canker (note the 15th St. example with the obvious stem cankers, which is more typical). There is still plenty of die-back in the crown, but it has a density of branches, and plenty of ascending ones, not usually seen in the typically sparse, pendulous crown of 'Kiku-shidare-zakura'. Hmmm.

10. wcutler

Susan originally posted it saying she wasn't sure it was 'Kiku-shidare-zakura', but I must have replied to her via my notification and said it was, so she reworded the posting. I have copied this to Ornamental Cherries: 'Kiku-shidare-zakura'? Or something else?, to discuss the ID there.

11. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Kanzans at Deep Cove Park. On the Northeast corner of Banbury and RockCliff.
    Petals just starting to fall.

Attached Files:

12. Willard

Beautiful canopy of young Kanzan trees at 2420 Dollarton Highway. Entrance to Canadian International College.

Attached Files:

13. Willard

The Kanzan at 2420 Dollarton Highway are being filmed now for an episode of "The Zoo".

20160407 2420Dollarton Kanzan Willard_0676.jpg 20160407 2420Dollarton Kanzan Willard_0677.jpg 20160407 2420Dollarton Kanzan Willard_0681.jpg 20160407 2420Dollarton Kanzan Willard_0691.jpg

14. wcutler

I hope they don't destroy too many of them while they're doing the filming.
    I've moved the map marker to where Google maps says that address is and made it a favourite. If it's good enough for "The Zoo", it should be good enough for our photographers.

15. wcutler

I have just come across a City of North Vancouver map of its cherry trees, on page 31 of this PDF document:
    Street Tree Master Plan - City of North Vancouver

Maybe North Van scouts would like to use this as a scouting guide. The trees are the green dots.

The plan has a section with plans by neighbourhood. For Tempe Heights, an area that has been reported here, it says on page 55:
    CherryTrees-CityOfNorthVancouver.jpg

16. Susanhuang28

Both side of West 4th St at Chesterfield's Akebono cherry trees are in full blooming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  17. wcutler

'Yae-beni-shidare' blooming dates in the rest of North Van this year were around April 13-26. Flowers on the Capilano Canyon tree are still in good condition today on May 17. Check out Anne's excellent photos to see the tree - just some branches above hoarding were visible today.
    20170517_CapSuspensionBridge_Yae-beni-shidare_Cutler_164746.jpg 20170517_CapSuspensionBridge_Yae-beni-shidare_Cutler_164758.jpg

18. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

My first post in this season!!!
    Autumnalis Rosea in full bloom at the corner Semisch Ave & First Str
    20180130_Semisch1Str_Autumnalis Rosea_Nadia.JPG 20180130_Semisch1Str_AutumnalisRosea_Nadia.JPG 20180130_Semisch1St_Autumnalisosea_Nadia.JPG 20180130_Semisch1Str_Autumnalis_Rosea_Nadia.JPG

19. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

6 mature Akebono in Panorama Park, Deep Cove
    (ID.1080) on the map
    6Akebono_DeepCove_2-4-18_Nadia.JPG Akebono_DeepCove_2-4-18.JPG Akebono_DeepCove_2-4-18_Nadia.JPG Akebono_DeepCove_2-4-18 Nadia.JPG

20. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

I happened to be in North Van this morning, and I saw the most amazing cherry tree. It looks and smells like a 'Shirotae', but I thought they were finished - also, the shape is all wrong - very tall and spindly. Here are some shots:
    IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3752.JPG
    Location: Across from 123 E. 15th Ave. (just east of Lonsdale).

Acerholic and Willard like this.
  21. wcutler

It's avium 'Plena' - the sepals are curled back like on sweet cherries (Prunus avium), the flower arrangement is in umbels, not corymbs, and the leaf margins are wiggly and irregular, like on sweet cherries, not serrated with hairy tips like 'Shirotae' and other ornamental double-flowered cherries.

No tree is going to exhibit its usual shape if it's growing up through a conifer.

Laura Blumenthal likes this.
  22. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well, I thought of that, but it just didn't look the way I remember avium 'plena' looking. Anyway, that just shows I can't trust my memory.

Good point, but this was actually in front of the conifer - it certainly did not have any space to grow sideways, though.

23. wcutler

Vern Gelette posted this 'Akebono' at Lion's Gate Hospital on his Facebook page, has given me permission to post it for the marker he has added to the map. He got the name from PlantSnap.
    Akebono_LionsGateHospital_VernGelette_20210413_6884018606763626478_n.jpg

Acerholic likes this.