North Okanagan plants

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by sueker, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sueker

sueker New Member

We have recently moved to the Armstrong area and I have been told it has a micro-climate that is different from the Vernon/ Kelowna are and different from the Shuswap area. It appears we have a slightly warmer wetter winter and more moderate summer temperatures in relation to the South Okanangan and Shuswap. I am wondering if anyone is aware of native plants for the Armstrong area.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

Perhaps talk to the folks at ILR Limited in Lake Country. Ask to speak with Rhonda, and tell her I suggested you speak with her (she was on the same school bus as me in rural Manitoba). Also tell her I'll reply to her email very soon!

3. Alectoria

Alectoria Member

Is it too late to reply to this? Armstrong really is a different climate from Kelowna for sure, but not too different from Vernon. Its got a wet mild fall, and snowy winter, not too cold, -5 with a few snaps down at -20 or so, usually in January, a wet warm spring, it can have a relatively drying hot summer ~ 30 degrees is very hot for Armstrong. Its not too windy, its very similar to my climate at Castlegar up to Nakusp and into Celista - Salmon Arm. Lots of lovely native plants grow in this climate. We can grow Balsamorhiza sagitata (pardon my spelling please), but it might not flower thats on the dryish side, on open dry sites Ponderosa pine, in wetter sites western red cedar, grand fir, and for flowering natives, columbia lily, sweet cicely, Aquilegia formosa, all of the Smilacinas, you can get Veratrum viride to grow if you have room. Ocean spray, Thimbleberry and Oregon grape ( too weedy for me), mock orange... wow, the list is endless... TONS of plants transition between the dryer Chase to Kamloops climate and the wetter Vernon to Celista to Salmon Arm triangle. Welcome to the Interior. The gardening here rocks!

4. Alectoria

Alectoria Member

I know the Smilacinas have been reassigned to Maianthemum, sorry. Some of them...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013