Night blooming flowers/plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ckyadam, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ckyadam

ckyadam Member

Hi im new to this, i was wondering if anyone knows of an indoor plant/flower that blooms and or gives off a fragrance at night and if possible where i could get one.

many thanks adam.

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

there is Epiphyllum oxypetalum,"queen of the night", its a very easy to care for forest cactus that has large white blooms at night. these are pretty easy to find at local nursuries or floral shops. there is also Cestrum nocturnum, this bloom at night and has a great scent. pretty hard to find around here though. hope this helps you out.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Have a look through this list. The evening- (es) and night-scented (ns) entries may interest you. James's suggestions are included in the list.

4. kome

kome Active Member

try "Cestrum nocturnum" common name:Night Jessamine, hope to meet what you wanted.

5. alhambra

alhambra Member

Hello,

I am looking for Cestrum Nocturnum but can't find it anywhere. Can you help me. I live in Ottawa.

6. alhambra

alhambra Member

Hello James,

I am desperatly looking for Cestrum Nocturnum. Can you help me? I also live in Ottawa.

7. Junglekeeper

Check with Plants of Perfection.

8. alhambra

alhambra Member

Thank you so much. I will give it a try!

9. James D.

James D. Active Member

i haven't seen it for sale in ottawa in quite a while, but you may want to try the market or Reno Depot (Hull) they both usually have really nice and unusual plants.

10. Junglekeeper

It's not a problem finding one in Vancouver. There were some from Monrovia that are 3-4' tall, in a 1-gal pot selling for $20. Rooted cuttings are common as well, selling for much less.

11. alhambra

alhambra Member

Thank you both. I have E-mailed the Plants of perfection nursury and I am waiting for a reply.

Amine

12. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yikes ... I tossed a 6' one in the compost last year. (too big to deal with) The fragrance was incredible!

Cheers, LPN.

13. alhambra

alhambra Member

One person's trash is another person's treasure...as for me the quest continues...
    Amine

14. Ines

Ines Active Member

Amine, these are epiphytic plants and if you can find any collectors or epiphyllum clubs or societies in your area, you should be able to get a cutting from someone. These plants are easy to propagate from cuttings.

Hoyas bloom all the time, but the scent tends to be very very strong at night - and the flowers last longer than on the oxypetalum. I believe the scent gets strong at night because in their native habitat, hoyas are pollinated by moths, maybe small bats, and other night creatures.

15. alhambra

alhambra Member

Thank you Ines,

I have ordered one from the Plants of perfection nursury and I am eagerly waiting or it. I am hoping it will do well idoors here during the harsh winters of Ottawa (Zone 5A). I will put it outside during the summers in a nice sunny spot. I can't wait for the delicious fragrance remindful of my youth in the Mediterranean.

Amine

16. danggophers

danggophers Member

I'd suggest for outdoors the datura white moonflower. Fast growing from a seed and perinial except for coldest climates, allowing it to come back fast the next year. Fragrance like magnolia flowers. This year my perinial came back 4 feet high and 15 feet wide. It had blossems all summer. It is poisenous so it can be hard to find at nuseries. I suggest EBAY auction site on the internet.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  17. alhambra

alhambra Member

Thank you Danggophers. I will keep an eye out for the Datura.