News on respected aroid expert Julius Boos

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Jun 29, 2009.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If you've read any of the pages on my ExoticRainforest website you've likely read quotes from my close friend Julius Boos. Julius is on the board of directors of the International Aroid Society and has written hundreds if not thousands of posts on Aroid l as well as scientific documents and plant descriptions published to science on aroids and other plant and animal species. I've quoted him often on UBC.

Julius was diagnosed last week with pancreatic cancer and at this time his medical outlook is unknown. However, the condition is devastating and has a very low survival rate. I'm determined to help Julius be in the number of those folks that live a very long time with the condition just wanted those of you that grow and love aroids to know about his condition. Please remember him in your prayers. Right now he feels well and has a very positive mental attitude. I just want him to stay that way.

If you have never had the pleasure of meeting Julius he will again be at the International Aroid Society Show and Sale at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens in Miami in September. Please consider joining us at the show!

2. photopro

Just today we learned that Julius not only has pancreatic cancer but also liver cancer. He begins chemo tomorrow (July 2, 2009) and is now weak but also quite optimistic. His doctors did say he has a descent chance so we are all praying for the best outcome possible.

3. Tom McLellan

Tom McLellan Member

This is to inform everyone:

A great man passed last Sunday.

My friend Julius Boos has embarked on his final field study.
    Palm Beach Post: July 14, 2010
    Boos, Julius O., 64, of Boynton Beach, died Sunday. Neptune Society, Pompano Beach.

He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Tom McLellan

4. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Bye Julius! You were a great aroid buddy, and I hope they have TONS of beautiful aroids where u have finally gone!

5. photopro

Julius's memorial service has been planned for Saturday, August 21 at 2:00 at Holy Name Catholic Church, 345 S. Military Trail, West Palm Beach FL 33407. Plans for a gathering afterward are being made. Cremation was arranged jointly by Hospice of Palm Beach County and the Neptune Society. The Carter family will arrange disposition of the ashes in accordance with Julius's wishes.

6. Tom McLellan

Tom McLellan Member

This mornings Palm Beach Post.

Family-Placed Obituary

JULIUS OSCAR BOOS Julius Oscar Boos of West Palm Beach, FL, passed away peacefully on July 11, 2010 in the hospice unit of Bethesda Memorial Hospital in Boynton Beach, after a year-long battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 64. Julius was born in Trinidad on January 5, 1946, to Oscar and Gwen Boos and was one of three children. Although he was incredibly bright, Julius never enjoyed going to school. He surprised his family by leaving high school and choosing the hard and dangerous life of an oil rig worker, where he quickly advanced from laborer to supervisory positions in Trinidad, the Amazon jungles of Ecuador and Peru as well as the Catalan region of Spain. His insatiable curiosity led to the life as a natural scientist, an expert recognized worldwide despite his lack of academic credentials. He became a leading member of the International Aroid Society and in 2009 had a new species of flowering plant named in his honor, the Anthurium boosii. Journals in which his writings were published include: Aroideana, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Journal of Arachnology, Living World, The Coleopterists Bulletin, Herpetologica and Systematic Zoology. Julius is survived by his wife, Susan Carter Boos; his older brother, Hans Boos; many Carter and Boos in-laws as well as cousins, nephews, nieces and countless friends. A Memorial Service will be held on August 21 at 2:00 PM at Holy Name of Jesus Church, located at 345 South Military Trail in West Palm Beach. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be sent to the Susan Boos Trust Fund or to the American Cancer Society . To express condolences and/or make donations Visit PalmBeachPost.com/obituaries
    Published in The Palm Beach Post from August 3 to August 10, 2010

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/palmbeachpost/obituary.aspx?n=julius-oscar-boos&pid=144453162

7. photopro

Thanks for the post. More will be run in several scientific journals including a list of his published works.

Steve