New house. New garden. Need help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sfire436, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sfire436

sfire436 New Member

Just bought a home with a garden and need help knowing what I need to do with these. I am very very new to outdoor plants and gardening.

What do I need to do to these plants? I'm quite certain the rosemary did not make the winter... :(

Attached Files:

2. sfire436

sfire436 New Member

This is the rosemary

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

On the rosemary, you can check the buds to see if they are full or not with a thumbnail press. I agree, it is looking doubtful, but there's not too much harm in waiting a few weeks.

As for the other, it looks like some sort of fabaceous shrub like Genista or similar. Perhaps these are grown for having scented flowers near windows? In any case, you can always prune back dead wood on these, though that looks like a fair bit of work in this instance.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The first two images kind of reminds me of Jasminum officinale--looks alive whatever it is. The third image looks like Nandina. I think I see flowers that did not mature, but no berries? Maybe chopped off.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    my rosemary that I used for cooking died this winter too --- and it had survived all prev winters for approx 8 yrs.
    I wish I had made more cuttings as it was a hardy one (til recently)
    (cut a healthy piece - put it in a glass of water on your kitchen window sill --- roots will form --- proceed accordingly)

re: old garden --- in my experience - sometimes it's best to start over. I have a patch in my own garden that is full of prev owners mangled (badly pruned) old shrubs etc - basically I hate looking at that area of the garden and it's just totally frustrating.

that said - I don't like to kill plants that are giving it their best --- ie healthy just badly pruned --- so what I do is have some big nursery pots (the tough black ones) - and put each "rescue" in to a pot - put it aside in a "rehab" area in my garden (ie not the public area where you are trying to create a nice look --- and sometimes it comes back fresh or you have a keener garden friend who loves to adopt these orphans.

example - hosta in a color I don't like (the silver grey) - so I heaved it out of the garden ... those who have hostas know how big and heavy the root plant system can get --- divided it up (sharp shovel) - potted it up - and lots of hostas for neighbours with woodland gardens who collect hosta foliage plants.

since you're new to gardening - have a look around in your neighbourhood re what grows well, what makes a mess (drops unwanted fruit, leaves, thorns) etc --- look for similar orientation (ie morning sun /// dry shade /// wet shade /// big trees etc) -

go to city parks and look at the well-managed flower beds etc
    go to Van Dusen and the UBC garden
    go on a garden tour fundraiser (look at older established gardens - not just the new development subdivision plantings)

then when it comes to design and choosing plants --- it's said that one should repeat as opposed to random one of this, one of that which ends up looking a mish-mash usually. So get your basic design going - then have some accents -- like a great foliage hosta in a magnificent pot.

also be reasonable about how much your maintenance interest and capability is --- and your annual budget $. Things really grow fast in the Pac NW (Lower mainland BC) so be careful about planting what will end up being a huge tree if the reality is it will have to come down (expensive) in a few years.

there are several other considerations - like privacy needs, where your utility lines above and below ground are located, septic field (no planting exc grass), outdoor entertaining space, dog and/or kids play areas, deer!, sun spots for the winter (ie enjoy your garden on a rainy day) --- and think of views of your garden from INSIDE your house. Proper lighting for safety and decor, too. This will evolve as you learn more and learn more about your new home and how you wish to use your property.

have fun creating a living artwork