New citrus tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by GardAns, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GardAns

GardAns New Member

Helo friends! I am new on this forum and I love it! It looks amazing, and so I hope people will be very helpful here! Today I came with my first new 'baby' - lemon tree! I planted it a few days ago, but as I am new in gardening, I hope that you could help me and give me some tips. Maybe you have planted it so you can tell me when it started to sprout, if this plant need lots of water etc. Looking forward your answers!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Welcome! We provide a lot of resources for citrus growing: Citrus Resources

Maybe someone who has experience with growing these will chime in, too!

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Are you growing this tree in a container indoors? Do you know what variety of lemon it is? You mentioned sprouting, does that mean you planted a seed?

4. GardAns

GardAns New Member

Yes, I have it indoor. Unfortunately I don't know what the variety is...And yeah, I plant it from seed :)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Citrus prefers a porous medium as it is susceptible to root rot; allow it to become somewhat dry before watering. Feed regularly using a high nitrogen fertilizer with a formulation approximating a 5-1-3 NPK ratio. Ensure it contains micronutrients. Place the container in a high light location. Be aware that it could be years before the tree matures and begins to flower. In addition, the seed may not grow true so if you're at all serious about cultivating for fruit, consider buying a tree from a reputable source.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018