Need to know the perfect mix of topsoil/manure/compost for veggie gardening.

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by tuberose, Mar 2, 2009.

1. tuberose

tuberose Member

Hello to all the experienced gardeners out there!

I am new to veggie gardening, (although I have had great success in past years with tomatoes in pots on my balconies). We have moved to a townhouse from a condo and I have just build raised beds (five feet by five feet) and am planning to plant parsnips, beets, kale, Mesclun blend, parsley, chives, raspberries, strawberries, cilantro, rudabegasa and possibly runner beans. I have a part sun/shady backyard and some of the gardeners "in the know" have indicated that these types of vegetation would do well. My next task is to prepare the beds. I know that I should have a combination of soil/manure/compost but not sure as to how much of each! Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the beds are sitting there empty you could buy a finished mix from a local dealer represented as being suitable for vegetables and fill them with that. If you have much shade that will be likely to affect which kinds you can get good results from. Schenk, THE COMPLETE SHADE GARDENER (Houghton Mifflin) has a whole chapter on growing vegetables in shade.