Need to cover an ugly chain link fence

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by garden neophyte, Apr 19, 2009.

1. garden neophyte

garden neophyte Member

I want to cover a chain link fence that divides my yard from my neighbour on one side.
    I am wanting to improve the curb appeal of our house - as we will probably be moving in a year or so - so i'm not looking to make major financial investments.
    I was thinking of planting common jasmine and training it along the fence. the fence is about 30 feet long and about 4ft high. It get lots of sun - mostly hot afternoon sun. (I live in south vancouver). Not sure how many plants I would have to plant. (suggestions?) There is a long, narrow (3ft) raised concrete garden bed that runs along the fence so I don't think I want to plant any type of hedge as I would like to also leave space to plant some perennials and annuals.
    Do you think that the jasmine would would work? Any tips? or do you have any other suggestions to hide my fence?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Garden Neophyte.
    Have you thought of Virginia creeper? Makes a full wall of foliage in summer turning orange, red, burgundy in the fall. Check it out in Sunset W. Garden. There are several types listed. I believe the one I planted was 'quinquefolia' and it was great!
    barb

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Near here there is a wire fence obscured by a row of common box that is clipped to remain quite narrow. Has worked great.

4. garden neophyte

garden neophyte Member

Thanks for the ideas - I will look into these.
    Steph

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

You could also use both vines and plants to clamber into the vines such as a quick growing rose. I once heard this refered to as a tapestry hedge. I have wire fencing 8 ft high around my garden and this is the effect I have. My weather allowes geranium, an ornamental grape (just turning red) wisteria, potato vine , honeysuckle and bannana passion fruit and some climbing roses. I clip it with shears once a year and have planted some low growing bits in front to block any holes. Eg hedging type plants such as a camelia. My reason for hedge apart from privacy was to discourage the dogs from constantly reacting to neighbourhood movement.

Liz

6. forget123

forget123 Member

Hey check this out, not sure if you heard about hedge slats but its usually work for having privacy and covering ugly chain link fence, maybe you could also make use on your fence? There is a picture of it in the ads.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/grd/1148075598.html

That thing is cheap and lasting forever, piece of cake installation, well all I did it myself for like half hour for the 40feet fence...

Hope that helps

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are also other materials such as bamboo matting. At least there is plenty of it available here. I used that on a paddock gate to block the dogs view from the road. Made the gate look really nice. I just used electrician cabel ties. It could also be spray painted if you wanted some drama. I like it au natural.

Liz