Need Information and HELP!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Lloyd, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm putting this request in this forum for lack of a better idea. If you want to move it go ahead.

I just stuck my foot in my big mouth as a Master Gardener and agreed to give a talk to beach front land owners, here in Anacortes, WA for the Beach Watchers Asssoc.

They want ideas on what to plant to help prevent erosion, hold soil and what will stand salt water and wind etc. This is no where near my field of knowledge. The only thing that comes to my uninformed mind is Snowberry (Symphoricarpos) to help hold a bank.

They are going to send me a list of Frequently Asked Questions they have received, and other info., but I am appealing to this forums vast knowledge to help me.

Thank you in advance.....barb

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Barbara Lloyd

Thanks Daniel - will do barb

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Be confident, smile and have examples of what you would like them to grow, whether in cuttings or on slides.

You'll also be able to address the nonnatives and the occasional invasives that can help hold a dune together until natives resume command.

Are your listeners interested in estuaries or ocean edge? Having a diversity of information will help if your audience come from a diverse background.

I'm no expert, but can walk the edges of dunes here and explain what we are seeing and why stepping up closer is against the law, but I can also explain some of the salt marsh and how it fits into the ecosystem. I also can show how nonindigenous and more tropical plants lived for years but then died in a bitterly cold winter, yet created a dead man's fingers sort of environment that has helped reestablish native flora and fauna.

My nature audience was almost always a highly educated set and I encouraged the sharing of esoteric information. Biggest problem was always keeping them out of the dunes and from touching the sea oats that lived there.

If you are walking the area, it's usually fun to ask what that "unusually prostrate and red weed" is, only tailored to your area. There's always something that grows in people's yards that looks dramatically different on salt dunes.

I'd bet you've already done this on much smaller scale with relatives, Barbara. Just be yourself, only a bit louder.

And if you are walking the area, do it a week before and possibly the day before to note changes.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Great info thanrose. Thank you. Public speacking doesn't bother me - my lack of knowledge does. Another MG that actually does landscaping has stepped up, so I will have or be back-up. I have lots of info from Wash. State Dept. of Ecology (Thanks to Daniel's links and our local chapter of Beach Watchers) and my trusty copy of "Selected Noxious Weeds of Wash. State" for a start. Now sit down and read, read, read! barb