Need help!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Leslie Bishop, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Leslie Bishop

Leslie Bishop New Member

My Dracaena Marginata leaves on the tips are turning black. I have it inside where it gets indirect sunlight from my French doors. I have it in its original pot that does have sufficient drainage holes. I have only had it a week and have not watered. The soil is still quite moist and I have put my finger in the soil and it is moist as well. Is there anyway I can save it in this state. This is an important plant to me, it came from a family members funeral. Any advice is welcome!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Are you sure the leaf tips have turned brown since you got it and were not that way before? I am wondering though whether this plant is actually an arrangement that was just created from cuttings for the funeral and isn't even rooted yet. It seems like a lot of draceana stuffed into that one pot. I would expect it to use up water more quickly. You could pull it out from the pot to see if there are even roots. Not that that would affect what you would do - it sounds like you are waiting until it needs water. If there are no roots yet, eventually there will be. But if there are no roots now, then I would be inclined to make at least two separate potted plants from it. On the other hand, if it's all roots and hardly any soil, you could plant it up to a larger size pot. That would surprise me though if it's not using up water. Unless it's in an air conditioned place and is too cold or is near an air vent.

Plants don't keep their old leaves forever. New leaves grow from the stop and old ones brown off from the bottom. The new leaves on the top look good. In the best case, this will grow very tall, with bare stems where you have pulled off brown leaves (don't pull them off when they look like this, but you can trim the brown bits off these if you want). Eventually, you would want to make cuttings and start over.