Need help with Indoor HID lights

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by sainclara, May 9, 2008.

1. sainclara

sainclara Member

So do u think buying a humidifier would help curb the low humidity in the room?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Probably, or you could just put dishes of water next to your plants.

3. sainclara

sainclara Member

I've done that already... I'm guessing the hygrometer is not picking up the change in humidity?? I've also begun misting my orchids (esp. the vanda and cyms, which are closest to the light) a couple of times a day... really really light 1/2 sec misting..) Hoping that would help with the low humidity..
    So I picked up a bunch more orchid today at the local nursery...
    A brassia haleahi spider that was in bloom... about 1500-2500FC away from the light?? Can't seem to find too much stuff on them... So they're like oncidium alliances? Light med-high light?? Are they more warm or cold loving??
    How about the others I mentioned? Are the light distances ok based on their footcandles from the source?

Thanks again Lorax!

4. sainclara

sainclara Member

p/s: Should I cut off the bloom spike of the phal with the droopy flowers and leathery leaves and bad roots?? It seems the plant is putting too much energy in getting its blooms out... and even when they do come up they're small and weak!! So I'm guessing i should do what's best for the plant if i wanna revive it?? Cut it off??? Ohh....Should i??
    Maybe it'll focus on regenerating the leaves and its root system...

So I heard when u cut off the bloom spike and u're ready to prep the plant for the cool winters... it's going to go thru a growing season and then a resting reason?? But phals don't have any pseudobulbs? Does it still need a resting season with hardly any fertilizer added?? and when is that?? Closer to winter??