Need help- Mass Cane and Spider Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Alayna, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Alayna

Alayna New Member

I have the Mass cane (Corn plant) and Spider plant, and they've not been doing well.
    They both were located in my chameleon's cage with over 60% humidity and lights that reach to over 85 degrees Fahrenheit. (Too much?)
    I took both of them out, watered and trimmed the dead parts off.
    Not sure what to do now. ( The brown spots and holes are from his nails)
    Any advice is helpful,
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are these getting any natural light?

3. Alayna

Alayna New Member

They're close to a window , but not directly in front.
    I took both out and put the mass cane outside in the shade, and the spider plant was set on a window cill.
    They do look better..

Attached Files:

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Neither of these plants mind the increased humidity. The Dracaena fragrans is a little wimpy looking, but nothing better potting and better lighting won't take amend. Just don't put it in direct sun light, don't let it sit in water and give it some basic houseplant fertilizer. The Chlorphytum comosus is lanky, or etiolated. Pretty much the same treatment needed. Mine are in the ground and leaves are mostly erect but arching, not draping over to the ground. They will both do much better in a few weeks.

Your reptile might appreciate some greenery, but your greenery might appreciate some rotation out of the terrarium occasionally. I used to do that with rehabbed songbirds. A flat of sod with a few twiggy little trees on the bottom of the cage that was there for two weeks while the other two flats in the rotation were outside under azaleas. Of course, then the problem is contamination with whatever is outside. Eh, whatever.

5. Alayna

Alayna New Member

I acually never thought of that.. Either way, u ended up getting another plant for hum in the meantime, and ill get some fertilizer. I have some for indoor plants but i dont think its good.
    It dosent get direst light, only morning light for about an hour or so.