need help growing indoors

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Soraza, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Soraza

Soraza Member

I need help figuring out why things are not growing bigger- I am trying to grow catnip, leeks, a lettuce mix, lambs quarters, and spinach inside. Everything has come up, but has stopped growing. Most things have stopped at about 2 inches, the leeks seem to be doing ok, at 5 inches.
    I used an organic potting soil, have plant lights on 12 hours a day (it is cloudy for most of winter in Michigan), use 8 inch deep pots, and water every other day so they don't dry out. I bought a fish emulsion/seaweed fertilizer and plan on watering with the fertilizer every other week.

I am wondering how synthetic fertilizers effect food- I am against them outside, when the chemicals can leech into other systems. But I wonder if Im being silly not to use them inside... I see that a popular poster here likes Miracle Grow.

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would have your lights on for at least 16 hours a day. Your pots may be too big. It is really best to start things of in shallower pots. I usually start of my plants in 2-3 inch pots and transplant them to bigger pot or outside as the case usually is when they are a couple of inches high. You may be watering too much as their roots are only going to be a few inches deep and the soil deep down is going to be too wet.

3. Adam B

Adam B Member

I agree 100%. I have an indoor garden and had a very similar problem. My main problem was over watering and too much fertalizer which burned that plants and stunted their growth. I went to watering with just water and only watering about 1 cup every 3 days. Now my veggies are growing fast. I live in Ohio and have similar cloudy days. Also, you should have light on the plants from 7am to 8pm at the minimum.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

The fish fertilizer? is it descented? especially if used indoors? Careful with that one. Also, the dangerous levels of mercury and lead found in the fish (salmon) are going to be in your fertilizer too!

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Just a couple more ideas, soraza.

Fluorescent plant lights are pretty weak intensity, so move your plants as close as practical up to the tubes.

Also, try to determine what if any fertilizer is incorporated in your "organic potting soil". Many bagged mixes have fertilizer while others have none...that will make a big difference in how much if any additional feeding you do.

I happen to like fish/kelp mixtures for liquid feeding, tho wouldn't use those thru the whole life of a crop coz it's expensive. Very effective in my experience, however. And not very welcome indoors, as already cautioned, ... "what IS that smell!"