Need help from a plant expert

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rmrollo, May 18, 2004.

1. rmrollo

rmrollo Member

HI!!!,

None of the local plant places have been able to help me so I'm hoping someone here can. When I was young we had a flowering shrub that grew next to our house and I'm trying to find one to plant at my house now. The bush grew in Alabama, but I never saw it in the wild or anywhere else except at our old farm. The bush was about 15ft tall, but it was never trimmed or anything like that. It had deep purple flowers with a light sweet smell that was simply heavenly. The flower petals were short and almost needle like and the flowers formed in the shape of an inverted pine cone. Is there anyone out there that can help?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    When you went to the local nurseries, did they show you any specimens or photos that were close? That might be helpful. I'm assuming that you have eliminated all the obvious (common) choices like lilac or buddleia (photo attached) ?? Maybe if you could describe the growth habit and the anatomy of the flower in a bit more detail it would make it easier to id.

Attached Files: