need desighn and plant help!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by busymom3, Apr 11, 2009.

1. busymom3

busymom3 Member

hi, i am a very amateur gardiner i have managed a veggie garden a few seasons and the odd plant lol. The problem i have is we cleared a section of land beside our home to add to our yard, the area is lower than the existing land and has a spring in it so its very wet pools of water sitting on top. we want to fill this in somewhat so that i can plant some kind of privacy hedging between us and the neighbours. I need ideas for plants that are easy growing prefer some evergreens with a mix of flowering shrubs or tree's that can grown over 5 feet tall and wide and bushy we are up in qualicum bay near the ocean. I would love some fragrant flowering trees to mix in with some other trees we have nothing in our yard right now and i dont want the trees to grow over 20 feet tall. any ideas would be greatly appreciated and not expensive either tight budgeted thanks

tina

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hi, tina and welcome! can you post a pic of the area??

i have no idea where you are located - could you provide your hardiness zone? that will help with suggesting things that would be appropriate for your area.

also, how much sun/shade does the area receive during the day and which direction does the sun come from?

the spring - is it always sending water up/out? or does water only pool when there are heavy rains?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A photo could help. Otherwise you are perhaps asking for a bit more than can be addressed adequately here. I can say I would definitely be wary of causing water to move onto the neighbor's property that isn't doing so already.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

A spring would be something very precious here. Are there any rules about it where you are???

Liz

5. busymom3

busymom3 Member

no because it is almost impossible to tap it dosnt come up in one spot and the water wouldnt necissarily be safe for drinking, the area i live on central vancouver island has a ton of them its what feeds the marsh's, swamps. and rivers, if it was large enough i would have tapped it and it would have solved alot of the problem but it runs underground and than bubbles up. makes a few large puddles on the surface thats about it.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if the spot is shady, then you couldn't go wrong with ferns - some are actually quite colorful. hydrangea would also like the moist conditions.

7. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

How about a weeping willow or two

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And in Qualicum, you can plant Musa basjoo as long as you protect it over the winter. Same goes for Cannas and other ginger-relatives; these seem to love to be swamped.