Nasturtium leaves yellowing

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Lejovich, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Lejovich

Lejovich Member

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a hanging basket with lovely nasturtiums in it. It started off well, is in the shade during the morning, but gets the heat & sun in the afternoons. It is fertilized every 2 weeks & watered on a regular basis. My problem is that some of the leaves are yellowing. It still appears to be healthy, as all the new growth is green & has a profusion of flowers. Can anyone tell me why the older leaves are turning yellow & is there a way to conteract this problem? Thanks.

2. Lejovich

Lejovich Member

I should also mention that, on my neighbour's recommendation, I did feed it with an acid type fertilizer, which seemed to help some of his nasturtiums, but has done nothing to help mine.

3. aalcock

aalcock Member

Hi:

I had the same problem last year, so I bought some liquid fish fertilizer, mixed it according to the directions, and it seemed to help the leaves from turning yellow. Apparently, they're lacking nitrogen. This year, I did the fish fertilizer routine as soon as I planted, then continued every two weeks. It seems to have worked, as my nasturtium leaves are much greener this year, although the older leaves still seem to turn yellow, but not as much as last year.

4. Lejovich

Lejovich Member

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try. :0)
    Leah