Identification: Name that Philodendron?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Scheelgrl, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Scheelgrl

Scheelgrl Member

I am new to your forum (Btw I am thoroughly impressed) so I decided to ask your opinion on a plant that I inherited from a long time client of ours (I work at a veterinary hospital). This plant I believe is of the philodendron family, but I do not know the scientific name of it, or what species it is. Any help would be mucho appreciated. Occasionally it does flower a bright red leaf that opens up and holds an upright red stamen (?) My next question has to do with the close up of the deformed leaf. Any idea why it is doing this? About 3 leaves are affected... it has me stumped.... Thank You!

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's an Anthurium not sure about deformed leaf, perhaps insect damage while leaf is forming.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

What you have in the photos is an Anthurium. These are greenhouse plants or tropicals in the wild. They require heat and humidity. But will survive in he home too...at ideal temp. between 25 to 30 celsius, and are much like caring for an orchid... The red lustrous flower bract (excluding the stamen cone) usually comes in white, red or pink. The deformation can be many variables... (lack of nutrition/humidity temp...) however, your plant appears vibrant.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. Scheelgrl

Scheelgrl Member

Thank you so much for the input! I finally have a name for the plant! I wish that I had taken pics of it over the summer: it had 5 to 6 blooms at a time while out on my sunporch.

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like one of the new kinds which I believe - perhaps mistakenly - to be derived from crosses between Andean and pigtail anthuriums.

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I've had it only a few years it's being sold as Amethyst here no actual botanical name on the tag. There's also an "orange" one (Hot Orange I think was it's name, lost the tag to it) but it's more pale pink and shows a little orange when photographed.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Surfing a bit I see complex hybrids are being produced.