Mystery Seedlings - Mimosa?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by artnerd, Jan 24, 2012.

1. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

I noticed these volunteers in a majesty palm that spent last summer on the patio under an ash tree, so at first I thought they were ash volunteers, but when I later potted up some "legitimate" ash seedlings from the yard I noticed that these guys look very different... and just last night I noticed they are photo-sensitive, leaves all curled upward in the darkness. (They've been growing indoors for 4 months now). Could these be mimosa??? My 2nd guess is some form of acacia or honey locust but I don't know if these are sensitive to light or not. I suspect these either came in with the palm's potting medium, or perhaps in the bit of sea soil I added when I transplanted the palm. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Safe to exclude Mimosa, as that has much narrower leaflets (e.g. pic here). More like a Robinia; that usually has opposite leaflets (pic), but it can occasionally show alternate leaflets (pic) like your plant has.

3. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Thanks Michael F. that does seem to be quite likely. I'll pot them up & see what happens. Cheers.