Mystery Maple rescued!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ChrisProbert, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

Hi all, please help me to identify my mystery tree.

I rescued this red Acer palmatum cultivar from a French multiple Garden Centre, where it had been tortured for many months by being packed together with other trees, intermittently watered and inappropriately fed. Given such treatment, the poor thing had even forgotten its own name! I asked the person watering it, and was told it was 'a tree' - I took it to the enquiries desk, where my enquiry was greeted with a gallic shrug of the shoulders! As it was a bargain price for a large tree I decided to rescue it and bring it home.

I struggle to describe it: it is a bit over a metre tall, and seems to have a stiff upright habit of growth (but the shape could be down to how it has been grown). The leaf habit is distinctive though - as shown in my second photo. Has anybody any suggestions for a correct name please?

Attached Files:

Afterglow likes this.
  2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Curious lack of branching,I don't have it but what about 'Jerre Schwartz' anyone?

Afterglow likes this.
  3. ChrisProbert

Thank you for that quick response Houzi! That's a useful suggestion - I braved the rain to go and compare them this morning, and my mystery tree has a lot in common with my 'Jerre Schwartz', only the petioles seem a good deal shorter. Could that difference be down to maturity (my 'JS' is very young) or soil?

Afterglow likes this.
  4. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Sorry,it was a complete shot in the dark.I was hoping another JS owner might chip in and say No it's not or whatever or suggest another.Young plants often have longer internodes but not sure if vigour ever makes a difference to the petioles.

Afterglow likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Good guess! It looks a lot like mine.

Afterglow likes this.
  6. ChrisProbert

It is an inspired shot Houzi - don't apologise! I think I've found the wholesaler they got it from - Kerisnel - so I'll take a look at their list to see if I can narrow down the possibilities.

Afterglow likes this.
  7. ChrisProbert

Hmm, no Jerre Schwartz on their list. I'll spend some time going through it to see if I can spot any alternatives. It will take my mind off my colonoscopy tomorrow, and the 'preparation' (only the initiated will understand!) that I have to do today.....

Afterglow likes this.
  8. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Looks like a Shaina or such tree to me. Or are the leaves too large for Shaina?

Kevin in KC

Afterglow likes this.
  9. ChrisProbert

Interesting thought, thank you, but the branching habit is very different from the pictures of 'Shaina' I found on Google. My plants lacks another habit of 'Shaina' that I have discovered: 'Shaina' always dies miserably when it finds it is owned by me!

Afterglow likes this.
  10. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Skeeters Broom maybe?

11. ChrisProbert

Hello Afterglow. My initial reaction was 'no', but after looking at some pictures on the internet I'm wondering if you might be right. AND a trawl through the (likely) wholesaler's website confirms that this is a variety they stock, so we may well be on to a winner! Thank you very much!

Afterglow likes this.
  12. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Hi Chris, glad my guess may be of help, I'm sure some of the other members here will give you a definite answer, I'm sure Roebuk will if he spots this post, all the best to you.