mystery clematis

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jetred, Jul 31, 2003.

1. jetred

jetred Member

Wondering what this clematis could be. Many clusters of small white flowers. Blooming right now and will bloom until late August. Very virorous growth; blooms on new wood. Bees love it. Grows without protection in zone 3.

I have had it for about 10 years. Apparently, it originally came from the Morden Experimental farm in Manitoba. If I lived close, I would check with them. One guess I have is "Paul Farges", of Russian/Ukraine origins.

Any guesses?

Attached Files:

2. PlantExplorer

PlantExplorer Active Member 10 Years

Strictly Guessing ...

There are approximately 100 species of Clematis in general cultivation, with some specialty nurseries carrying more obscure species and types for the enthusiast. Without actual measurements of leaves, petals, stamens, etc. and detailed notes on plant habit and habitat (not to mention microscopic images of the leaf surfaces, undersides, and various floral structures) there is no certain way of identifying a Clematis from only a couple of pictures – especially one that may have come from a research station investigating new species for introduction.

However, to offer a starting point for debate, I will guess: I think the plant may be Clematis ligusticifolia Nutt. ex Torr. & Gray, a North American species from subsection Dioicae. This species is atypical of this group in its hardiness to cold, being native to parts of BC down through the Rockies to New Mexico.

If anyone has any other ideas, or has records of any Clematis species being studied by Agriculture Canada, we might be able to get a clearer identification. Any takers?