my presentation to the forum

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Jose-Albacete, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

Hi I want to introduce myself to the forum, since I'm a new member.
    My name is Jose, I'm from Spain, I live in the downtown area, in the province of Albacete ( zone 8 ) , and like of you, I am a big fan of fruit trees.
    I have a long experience with fruit trees (over 15 years), and I would like to share my knowledge with you.
    I have a fairly large orchard (about two hectares) with hundreds of varieties of all kinds.
    So I hope to contribute to this forum with the best of me.

a greeting
    Jose

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jose.

3. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

Sundrop thank you very much.
    to see if I I have a little time and I open some post that is of interest to all member of the forum.

a greeting
    Jose

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Hello,

What kinds of fruit trees do you grow there in the beautiful Spain? It would be very interesting for us to learn, here in NA and for others, too, I am sure.

Do you grow them organically? How popular organic gardening is in Spain?

5. Jose-Albacete

Jose-Albacete New Member

Hello again Sundrop.
    In Spain, due to the great diversity of climatic zones you can absolutely grow all kinds of fruit varieties (any variety that you can imagine). In my region (Castilla la Mancha), farmers currently grow three fruit varieties to be well adapted to the climate and soil conditions, these varieties are:
    - Grape
    - Almonds
    - Pistachio (every year more hectares are planted)

At amateur level, given the nature of my land (it is very calcáreus ) in my orchard I have many fruit varieties (all kinds of stone fruit , many varieties of cherries, many varieties of pluots, plums, pears, apples, persimmons, apricots, etc .....) but for example due to extreme heat in summer and the high ph of the land, I can not grow Kiwi, chestnut trees and other crops that need more humid climates and soil with low ph.
    As to the trend toward organic farming it is increasingly more widespread, and agricultural policy of the European Union also works in this regard. At amateur level all people try to grow as environmentally friendly as possible, in my case I use only ecologic products (copper oxychloride, paraffin oil, sulfur and neem oil as an insecticide). It will be a pleasure for me to explain techniques pruning of formation of fruit trees that you do not you use in Canada, and are of good help
    a greeting
    Jose

Daniel Mosquin likes this.