My Meyer Lemon bottom leaves yellowing

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by windyagain, Feb 13, 2015.

1. windyagain

windyagain New Member

Hi, I'm new here.

my young Meyer lemon got some yellow leaves at the bottom, and I just noticed that it is spreading upwards to newer leaves now. I m so terrified since I couldn't tell if it's nitrogen deficiency or citrus greening.

I bought it from a nursery two months ago. I noticed scale insects infection several days after I moved it home, and some spidermites. But the plant grew vigorously and produced blossoms. I applied some insect soap to the soil, and now there are quite some fruits growing. I was so happy about it, but then several days ago, I started to notice some yellowing at the bottom of the plant. And it's spreading towards the upper side now. I fertilized with some spikes 10days ago. Now I m so scared since the symptom somehow looks like citrus greening.

Could someone help me on this? I've been researching for several days now, trying to identify the problem, feeling exhausted and helpless!

Thank you ver much in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. bonsaipf

bonsaipf Active Member

I have an indoor Meyer lemon and I have had a similar experience to you. I am no expert but I can tell you what I have experienced.

From what I have seen, indoor lemons are particularly prone to spider mites. I spray mine with a miticide at least 3 times a year. But, if I have left it too long between sprayings, the leaves get badly damaged by the mites. If this is the case then even after you have gotten rid of the mites, the leaves will continue to deteriorate until they go yellowish and fall off to be replaces by new fresh leaves.

This could be what you are experiencing now.

3. windyagain

windyagain New Member

Thank you very much bonsaipf!
    when the tree reacts to mites, from your experience, does it usually start from the older leaves at the bottom of the tree? I also noticed there hasn't been any new leaves growing for around 3 weeks now (started after i sprayed pestcide, but i didn't spay on the new leaves), i saw some tiny little new sprouts fell off while ago. It grew like crazy till 3 weeks ago. But there are new fruits growing. I actually saw some small little tiny mites (not sure if they are spider mites, but they are small tiny little kind of transperant things, i thought it's spidermites coz there were some nets on the plants) runing on the leaves this morning, but not sure what to do. i sprayed, and also used Bayer Advanced Fruit Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control to the soil according to instruction. It said on the instruction that it can only used once per year.
    I applied some all purpose spikes around 10 days ago, so not sure either if i should go find some fertilized specifized in lemon tree...
    Feeling very worried...