my magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by meph, Aug 26, 2007.

1. meph

meph Member

i have an eight foot magnolia, i was told it should not grow in our climate, i cover it each winter and i grows about 2 to 3 feet per year. I am unsure what kind of magnolia it is, and in a couple of years i will be selling my house, and i don't want to leave it.... Is it possible to move it at that pont?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's a search on the forums for [SEARCH]transplanting magnolia[/SEARCH]

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

I realise that you're in the Gatineau hills and all, but there are a range of big mature Magnolias of various species and varieties growing quite happily just across the river at the Dominium Arboretum (Experimental Farm). I've never seen winter damage on them. Are your minimum temperatures that much colder in Chelsea?

Your Magnolia is probably a Saucer Magnolia (M. x soulangeana)....does it have large light pink flowers?

4. meph

meph Member

it has white star shaped flowers, and because we are close to the river some very cold winds can pass through, but it has always been healthy.... i'm starting to think that it may have just been that the person at botanix had just had some bad luck.

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

If it has multiple petals, it's likely a Star Magnolia (M. stellata). It's one of the hardiest Magnolias and should be fine unprotected in Chelsea. Some are even growing it in Edmonton (with very mixed results and somewhat limited success mind you)

6. meph

meph Member

great, now for trans planting in a couple of years, that should be possible if it is so hardy right?