My forte!!!

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by doxie1064, Sep 17, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

So odd that you mentioned writing a children's book, Togata, because I have a huge interest in doing just that! Didn't think of writing it about Henry though. Hmmmmm.

Yes, I loved that first picture too. He's so photogenic, and I enjoy taking different pics of him.

Do you know I never did get to see Fred and the gang yet! I would just love to, if you ever get an opportunity. They sound like such comical and fun little fellas.

These last few days, Henry has been saying "Come here" but more like "C'mere". I didn't realize how much I said that to him! Also his newest phrase this month is "don't you be sassy"!!!!

: O

He's been screaming at me lately, and squawking real loud if he doesn't get his way, so I've been saying 'dont you be sassy'. Now he goes around to all the plastic birds in his cage, scolding them and repeating the phrase. It is just absolutely hilarious! I was laughing so hard this morning at how stern he was saying it to them! He is just priceless.

I will take some more cute shots soon. Yes, he is spoiled rotten with his mansion of a cage, birdbath, toys and accessories. He is so busy all day long, and so chatty and happy. I've only had him for three years, but I am a bird lover now, through and through.

: )

2. The Hollyberry Lady

Dana:

Loved that adorable story about the dog blending in with the blanket! How cute.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yeah, I gotta prevail upon my long-suffering daughter to get a photo of Fred, Bill, and Charlie on this post. Fred (sky-blue and white) is the oldest, and generally likes to sit on the highest perch and supervise. Or sleep. Charlie (green and yellow) is a real acrobat, and will hang upside down from the swing. Whoa-a-a! He likes to unhook the wood-frame mirror and/or the cuttlebone. And Bill (lovely gray and white) lectures constantly! Charlie often will argue back, and when Fred joins in it's like a session of the 'Jerry Springer Show'. Hilarious when Bill lectures HIMSELF in the mirror, complete with birdie punctuation ("!!!!!") and head-bobs for emphasis!

4. togata57

And, H.L., I am serious about the kids' book. You could self-publish---with the things computers/printers can do nowadays (here we have Kinko's, an office supply place that does printing, binding...if you take your photos and text in there they can literally make a book for you)---and see if local bookstores, pet shops, etc. would try setting a few out for sale...holiday bazaars will soon be popping up...what a great gift your Henry book would be for a little kid from Grandma, to read it to the child! Henry writes his own story---not much text needed. You could show Henry being his happy self, and simultaneously illustrate how he got to be that way. Maybe, just maybe, you might educate as well as amuse and entertain---and maybe a parakeet out there will have a better life because his/her owner read your book and learned how to do so! Gosh, I can SEE this book. Sign me up for a copy!

Really, I do think that the passion and care evident in your posts would just shine through like a sunbeam. Go for it, H.L!!! :-)

5. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Great entertainers and I don't think I would have nearly so much to smile and laugh about if it were not for the little ones.
    Now Henry is so tiny I'd worry about losing track of him, so much smaller than the dog and way more mobile with the ability to fly but it sounds as tho he spends a lot of time with you, perhaps demanding your attention? As you go to work he likely misses you and is happy to see you return home each day. A chipper little friend.
    I heard a talk by a scientist about how animals can be empathetic and i heard him say that he didn't know if birds had the capacity to have such feelings, with all sorts of qualifying criteria for deciding if it was present in an animal. I know that when I had chickens I did see such a display when a young pullet ran for it's brood sister for comfort after a fright. She went to her sis and they cuddled for sure, no mistaking what was going on. I spent a lot of time chicken watching as I worked in the garden and got to know what was what with them. They were white tho whether Banty or Leghorn I'm not sure.

When I met a family bird, a large colourful parrot or some such fancy bird, I could tell that it was warning me, a stranger, not to come too close just yet by his body language and voice. I think that if one shows them that you understand they warm up to you sooner.
    Now I watch the birds in the garden as they bathe and preen afterward and check out the grass, shrubs and garden.
    I tried to turn my back yard into a humming bird trap this summer- great fun
    but
    nothing like having a little friend like Henry.
    Birds are so unique that it seems no two are alike, even among Parakeets.

D

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Now you've just got me real excited, Togata!

I actually applied to a writer's college awhile back, and you had to submit a story to be approved or not approved. They only wanted people with some talent in writing, and they even help you to get some of your work published by the end of the course!

I really didn't think I would get accepted, and only did it because a friend encouraged me - kind of like you are. I was shocked when I got a letter of acceptance! My friend 'I told you so' ed me forever after that.

I ended up going the Pychology and Abnormal Psychology route, but I always knew it was something I could fall back on, or just do for fun someday. It is something I always wanted to do - write stories for children. I used to write them for my neice and nephews too.

Those guys sound so funny Togata, the way you describe them! Oh, I can't wait to see them someday. You must have a laugh at all the antics. I can well imagine.

Well, thanks for all the great compliments and encouragement. You've definitely got the wheels turning...

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes Dana, Henry does demand a lot of my attention, but he can always rely on me to give it to him. He is actually really good about entertaining himself too though, and he's not a pest by any means.

Here is his cage, which he never wants to leave, as you can see why. It is actually supposed to be a parrot's cage, which I think is ridiculous, and would get a way bigger cage if I had a parrot. This is a chalet cage on wheels and the top opens up. Hard to see because it's night. Just took this shot a few seconds ago...

Attached Files:

8. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Wow!
    Henry's place is palatial.
    He could do demos of how to use the various implements and toys in his (we hope) upcoming book.
    Not all the parakeets I have known are nearly as friendly and interactive as Henry.
    There is a parrot refuge not too far away from here where the parrots have lots of toys to play with hanging in their cages which are big enough for a wee flight across, as well, I hear, as the larger outdoor flight cages coming along now as money dribbles in.
    I ought to go take some pics and show Vic that not all Canadian birds are drab looking, even if they are immigrants. An excuse to do something different.
    Well, have a great playful weekend you two!

D

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh thank you, Dana.

Yes, Henry is quite involved. He is a single bird, and I live alone, so he has totally bonded with me. Even allows me to kiss his belly and his wings - he's very affectionate.

My mother lives right next door, and he loves to go to 'Nana's' house and visit. He is very close with her too - she sings to him, and he's just spellbound with interest, practically hanging off her lips!!!

Ok, just took these pics this morning.

This is Henry with his little plastic friend , "Tee Tee". Actually, he thinks it's his baby, and he feeds it pieces of regurgitated food, as you can see in the last shot...

Thought the second shot was funny - just the stance of him and the look on his face. I tell him all the time he has a fat little pot belly!...

What a little character...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If he did not have blue on his beak I would have said maybe Henrietta. I find the birds amazing the way they learn to adapt. That goes for many animals as well. People are always saying how nasty geese can be. Mine where but only at nesting time (late winter) Other times they were very social animals that would come up for a chatter and pat. For many months I had a badly injured one that could not walk properly so I would carry her to the grazing area and her pal would trot along beside me chattering all the way and then staying with her to keep watch then I would bring her down a few hours later he would come along once she was safley locked up he would flap off to the rest of the flock for the day. At night they all came home to roost with the dogs but he always went and had a chat to the sick one. My first sheep was a rescue from a dog attack and he ended up with a back leg amputated. Several months and that lamb could come down the paddock as fast as a 4 legged one. When eating he would either stand or eventualy sit on his bottom and graze. He was an expert at opening gates and getting into things he should not. "3" made it to 9 years old before he left this mortal coil and was an extremly clever sheep. No herd mentality in this boy. He was in charge of the paddock that included 4 horses and he could steal any ones hand outs with out getting kicked. The horses loved him.

Liz (Beautiful spring day with a nippy start)

Liz

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh thanks for the great read Liz - what endearing stories!

12. togata57

Indeed! What a great book could be made from the stories on just this thread!

H.L., Henry has true 'star quality'. I laughed to read about his visits with grandma! And I'm getting so I look forward to the next installment of Henry pix. Yes, that second photo certainly conveys 'Why yes---I am the master of all I survey!' And I love the way he POOFS his forehead out. ---That cage is a MANSION. Wow! F., B., and C.'s cage is nearly that tall, but doesn't hold a millet spray to it in terms of decorator-showcase quality.

Great stories, Liz. It is for sure that animals are individuals: any animal with a brain has a personality and a consciousness, which we humans can see if we will just take the time to notice.

Gloomy here all day, rain on and off---steadier in last hour. I feel for the kids (and parents!!!) out on the football fields tonight: sea of mud! Mine were in marching band...ooh, those shoes, and spats, and cleaning bills for those wool uniforms. At least it's not too cold, yet.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks so much Togata! I am glad you are enjoying the pics - I sure love to take them. I will post more as time goes on.

14. togata57

FINALLY---at long last! H.L., here are the long-promised BIRD PHOTOS!!!

Fred is turquoise and white (I felt that he deserved his own solo photo, top right); Bill is grayish-blue (much grayer in 'real life' than these photos indicate); Charlie is green and yellow.
    The loudly vied-for spinny mirror is visible at bottom right of top left photo.
    What a gang! What a crew of psittacines! :-)

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh I love seeing them, Togata!

: o

Thanks so much for showing us their pictures. They are all beautiful, that's for sure. Looks like they are three little characters that must keep your daughter very busy!

So nice to see them finally after hearing so much about them in other threads.

Here's are my latest shots of Henry. He is getting very suspicious about all this picture taking and knows something's going on...

Attached Files:

16. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

So pretty!!! hahaha show him this thread ;)

:)

17. togata57

Hilarious! :-D
    B., C., and F. perform a similar maneuver...in the am when I take the cover off of their cage, I usually go on to do my daily misting of the plants that live near the south window (visible in bottom L. photo). To do this, I face away from the boys. I soon begin to feel as if I am being watched...after extricating myself from a couple of yards of philodendron, I turn around to see the three of them watching me closely! Just about the only moment during the day when they are completely silent! As soon as I depart, they immediately begin a loud discussion...probably about weird human behavior.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

That is just hilarious, Togata! I thought they were your daughter's birds - woops sorry, I guess they are yours.

I can just imagine the antics that go on with three birds! They all have their own personalities, that's for sure. I thought about it many times - getting a 2nd bird for Henry, but my mom talked me out of it! She was right, because he is not lonely in the slightest, and he's so close with me - it is really special, our bond.

Took these shots of him this morning while getting him up. He was pretty resentful that I got him up a little bit early, and I knew he was building for a squawk session to teach me a lesson.

Sure enough, I was right, and shortly after these shots were snapped he proceeded with a series of bomb dives at my head, while squawking as loud as he could!!! These little tantrums are not uncommon with Henry, when he is displeased...

Thought this pic would be cute here too.

This is my mom's Holland Lop bunny rabbit with floppy ears! His name is Buttons...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  19. togata57

Now THAT is a bunny! Love those fuzzy toes.
    How does Henry like Buttons? And vice versa?

20. The Hollyberry Lady

They are total buddies! My mom lives right next door to me, so they see each other nearly daily. Henry jumps on Buttons' back, and preens him. Buttons is always smelling Henry of course, and Henry looks right insulted!

They really know each other well, and play together often. Henry even knows how to say "Nanny's Buttons"!!! My mom made me teach him, and is just delighted when she hears him say it.

21. togata57

I am continually amazed at Henry's virtuosity. Yep, I remember you saying that you take Henry to visit his g-ma and that she sings to him. Now there's a video I'd like to see! Even better, audio of same, and of Henry uttering his many bon mots.

And yes, I'll say it...Henry grooming Buttons would be great in THAT BOOK YOU'RE GOING TO WRITE!!!

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, he is quite an astute little fella, and it just so happens that I have a digital camcorder and would like to learn how to download it through utube - I am sure I could do it. I will look into it - and that book too!

You would be amazed at how loud he talks also - and very clearly and articulately as well. I could film him "cawing" like a crow, among other things. Also, my mom, against my wishes, kept saying "chirp chirp, tweet tweet" to him. Now he flies around my apartment reciting "chirp chirp, tweet tweet"!!! It's too ridiculous.

: o

23. togata57

Henry would be a huge hit on YouTube! Next: David Letterman/Conan O'Brien! Hmm, On second thought, maybe not. I think H. is thoroughly happy where he is...parakeet paradise!

Funny---have caught the spousal unit standing by the bird cage repeating the phrase "Go Bucks"! So far (thankfully) the crew is unimpressed. ---I daresay that he plays the OSU fight song for them when I'm at work!

24. The Hollyberry Lady

I just wish that certain people (mom), would get their own bird, if they want to teach them ridiculous little expressions! He can learn something new, in a few hours, and will attempt to say it quickly. I am careful not to swear around him too.

25. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Hi, togata and Hollyberry Lady!
    Bird stories: When little, out in Hawaii, I had a blue parakeet who loved the Disney Hour. They had an Ipana toothpaste commercial that always ran just before it, and if we didn't tune in on time, Blue would bounce up & down on his perch, singing, "Brusha, brusha, brusha!" louder and louder, and getting very agitated! (Part of the commercial jingle.)
    I've been told, and confirmed by observation, that parakeets kept with other keets don't learn to speak any English - when they have other birds to talk to, they just don't bother to talk to humans!
    By the way, that seed regurgitation is a pre-mating behavior! I once had a pigeon (obviously hand-raised by humans) follow me for a mile on a walk, eventually sit on my hand, and offer me regurgitated seed. He was mostly blue over the grey, and I was wearing blue denim jeans and shirt at the time - guess he must have thought he hit the pigeon jackpot, and found the biggest pigeon in the world!
    HollyL., does Henry groom your hair? My second parakeet used to sit on my glasses frames and groom my eyebrows! He would also put out his little birdie tongue and give me kisses!
    Anyone who doesn't think animals have no emotions must have never owned an animal!
    I had a fish tank with two tiger oscars , and they could tell me from my roommate from clear across the room. When I came home, they'd rush around (Whee! Mom's home!) and splash at the top. When she did, even if I wasn't home yet - no reaction. I used to dangle my fingers in the water, and they'd rub up against them, like cats. And they'd take mealworms from my hand, very gently. However, when I asked roomie to feed them over the weekend when I was gone, she swore they bit her!